stuck clutch

Tommy
Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

My 41 coupe has been sitting for a couple of months while I sorted out the radiator issues. Got that resolved today. Now the clutch is stuck from sitting.

Pedal moves fine, linkage seems OK and I can move the clutch fork with a pry bar, so i don't think that is the problem- I think the disc is stuck. :(

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

if you are going to try the starter bump method. pull the coil wire from the dist.  So you wont get an unwanted start.  You also can see whats goint on by removing the sheet metal inspection cover from the bottom of the belhousing. 

Edited by greg g

My 40 Dodge has done that several times. The normal gentle methods didn't work.

What I finally did is to start it and let it warm up. Once it was warm and would start easily I would roll it to a spot where I could just take off and drive. I put it in first gear, hit the starter, and took off. With the clutch in, go up and down on the throttle hard until it broke loose. Took a quarter mile last time.

I checked it the other day and it was stuck again, I think I'll just pull everything and rebuild it.

My 48 b1b was do stuck when I bought it I removed the clutch and pressure plate with a torch before I could get the transmission out. I doubt your is that stuck!

How many of these cars really start on a bump.....with all the hard start threads on here? :cool:

Can't speak for all of them, but my 24 Dodge Brothers starts with a crank. (I'll get the electric starter fixed yet.). Each yank in the crank takes one piston over the top one time. It usually starts on one, sometimes two cranks. So, does one time of one piston going through compression stroke one time count as a bump?