Differential Question

Fowl Jeff

Hello All,

I'm still plugging away on Lumpy - will post an update to my build thread soon. In the meantime I have a question. After taking apart the rear I found that water had gotten in and rusted the gears, so I decided to use the rear end from my parts truck (B2C which is 3/4 ton).

They are different. The rusted differential - from my 1/2 ton B2B - matches the one described in the shop manual. It's referred to as a "single speed hypoid semi-floating axle". The ratio is 4.1-1. The pinion gears are in a "barrel type" housing as shown in the manual.

I'm attaching a picture of the other (good) differential. Its ratio is 3.9-1. From what I've read, the pinion gear housing is called a "cage type". Does anyone know where this rear might have come from? I found a picture from a post here a few years ago that looks similar.

Thanks,

- Jeff

post-6036-0-18693700-1444263254_thumb.png

post-6036-0-96591000-1444263254_thumb.png

Luckily for me the bearings are the same for both. I had originally ordered them thinking I'd try to keep the original rear but my brother/mentor advised against it. The two housings were the same also, as were the axles.

Rusted gears pit and even when freed will chip away more of the surface once in service...biggest issue...a very noisy rear axle and more likelihood of premature failure . The 3.9 will be a much better ride anyway, lower rpm and less noise

Thanks Fernando. Yours does look similar but maybe not identical. It's hard for me to see from your diagram but my main pinion starts out with a large washer/spacer mounted right up against the drive gear, then the first bearing, then a sleeve, then spacer(s), then the second bearing, etc. I do not see the sleeve on your diagram. Also as you see from my picture our ratios are different. So as Ed says I guess my rear came from an old car, probably a Dodge or Plymouth since it fits nicely into the existing housing & axles.

So now I get to have fun with preload, backlash, etc. I've read the shop manual on this maybe six times and I'm as confused as ever. Think I'll bribe someone who knows how to do it with a few beers..AFTER he does the work. :)

Hi Guys,

I have a differential that's out of a 1956 Custom Royal Coranet. It's soon to be on jack stands and I'm hoping to remove the "Pumkin" on Halloween (wooooooooooo....!) just kidding but close. I call my 4.11 "Tree Stump" not only because it's good for pulling trees, but because the previous owner, a roofer by trade.not only trashed my bed but.must have backed into a tree stump each night after work after having a few with "the boys"

To make a long story short (or my real question: can you make an axle housing (((the coronet housing is pristine)  longer ((assuming the Coronet has a shorter width)) (((because my "dish or cover plate imight as well be a pie tin)))

Thanks for helping me in advance, I'll try to be as helpful as I can but I'm still learning too,

scans & pics to follow;

Hank .

Hi Hank,

Been thinking about this a while. So you're saying you might need to extend the axle housing on each side? My first reaction was "no way in h*ll." But pondering for a while..maybe it's possible. Have you measured to see how much you need to add?

Curious to hear your "plan of attack". Are you thinking of cutting through the housing near each hub and welding an extension to each side of the cut?

- Jeff

Hank, I'm no expert on this, and I don't know how much of an extension you're actually looking for, but if you can make your spring perches line up as long as your backing plates aren't an issue could you accomplish your goal by using rear rims with more offset?  Mike