My car looks too high

linenbaugh

I have been working on my -47 dodge for 6 years and are slowly puttin it back together.I think it is looking too high,I have had everything in the front end apart and sandblasted and painted.I wonder if i had done something wrong when i asembled the front end ,i have the old springs and the same hardware that was used from the factory.The car has been lifted on a hoist and has not been driven ,will it be lower when it gets out on the road and the front end gets settled.What kind of springs can be used to get it lower.post-1178-0-95338800-1444158204_thumb.jpg

Maybe it'll settle down more after the front bumper & brackets, grill, lights, etc are installed.  Is the radiator in and full of water ?  After they are installed then you can jump on the bumper as Don suggested ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply i have tried this and it does not make a big difference i have looked in my shop manual and ca not see that anythimg is wrong. The wheels are leaning inwards at the top so the wheel angles look really wrong.Even if i stand on the bumper the car looks funny.

Anders

...These cars drove on many rural lanes and dirt roads in the forties when it was good to have ground clearance. They sat higher than today's cars. When I still weighed 150 I could squeeze under the frame to work on the transmission or driveshaft of my P15 Plymouth.

...I can't tell if your car is too high from your photo. Maybe we can get someone to measure their car, from the ground to the bottom of the frame and you can compare that height to yours.

Thanks for your reply i have tried this and it does not make a big difference i have looked in my shop manual and ca not see that anythimg is wrong. The wheels are leaning inwards at the top so the wheel angles look really wrong.Even if i stand on the bumper the car looks funny.

Anders

You must do more than stand on the bumper. Jump up and down to relax the suspension and eliminate the inward leaning.

Check to see that the coil spring is "clocked" on the lower spring pocket in the A-arm properly. One of the times I was installing I didn't have the tail of the coil spring sitting in the lower pocket right and it made the car sit higher.

• Like 1

Hey linenbaugh,

I've got a 48 P-15 and it sits like yours does. I believe it has the original suspension except foe the shocks. The size of the tires can make it look like it sits high. It came with a set of 235 75 15 tires that made it look right, but I had to change them out due to dry rot. I put a set of 205 75 15 on it and now it sits like yours does.

I am thinking about cutting a coil out of the springs to lower down about 2 inches, but we'll see. Other than that it drives great.

Joe

Thanks for your input i will check the location of  the springs in the lower arms other than that i really dont know what to look at.Is there springs from a modern vehichle you can use to make it lower,i have heard of ford aerostar but does it make it lower.

Anders

i also had a spring out of place in the lower a arm. i used a spring compressor and a hammer. i could tell in my situation because the other side looked different. also roll the car back & forth while trying to settle the suspension. you might want to drive it a bit before lowering it. JD

• Like 1

Yes the body has been off the frame and i have changed the rear end to a cherokee 3,55.The rear does not bother me but i do defenitly not like the height of the front.I will put everything together and take it out for a testdrive and see if something changes.The wheels are 235/55/17.

Anders

Going by that pic, it looks like the car is sitting level, which would make me think there is nothing wrong with your frontend. But I agree, it looks too tall, but then again I like lowered cars. Personally, I would lower that car 2 inches minimum. Does that new wheel/tire combo have an overall shorter height than the original combo?

Thank you, this was the answer i wanted,I agree the car need to come closer to the ground.These wheels is about the same height as the stock steel rims which i allso have .I like the look of the car whith these wheels.As no one has answerd my question about springs that will make the car lower i guess that i have to take a trip to the junkyard and see what i can find that can be used.

Anders