newby question casting block numbers

Richie15

Hi everyone. I am getting used to the forums and search mode, very helpful and glad to be here.

My questions are this: where are the block casting numbers of my 23 inch head 6 flathead?

(for some reason the serial number has been ground off) so the question is about where can I find a chart so I could determine which engine I have.

The reason is I may want to rebuild it as it is in a 1940 Plymouth truck and I don't think I will find a correct block *PT*105*XXXXXXX*, well, so far no one in my search for that has answered.

Any help appreciated, Rich

You are correct the PT105 block would be a hard one to find. Neither mine or Dads 40s still had them. His has a later replacement engine that because it was titled by the engine # is stamped with it. If its a 23" its most likely either a 218 or 230 and you can measure the stroke to figure out which.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reminder, I will measure stroke, go from there.

Rich

Well this makes it easier; head is dated 11 19 51, casting number:              P       (  Plym ?)

1405849-12

With this date it is a 218 (if is Plym), I will measure stroke closely today.

Edited by Richie15

Unless the truck is uber original then you could find/rebuild just about any of the L-head engines, including the 25", and have it ready to go when the urge strikes. Yes, a 25" will involve some additional work but provides a lot more grunt.

• Like 1

Hi, stroke is 4 3/8". Was interesting to find that Dodge truck 230 from 1942. Would be better, even a 25", but I just want to putt around town, plus I have extra parts for the Plymouth 4 3/8 " engines. I will pull the engine soon but decide this winter, check the cylinders maybe get away with new rings/hone job....lap the valves, then have a close look at bearings....so far internals look good but valves/rings must be done.

Is a inexpensive valves spring tester be good to test them, what is the name for this tool?

Rich