Why do they think it's a Chevy?

Mark Haymond

I get the same thing all the time with my 55 Plymouth Belvedere. Often people call it a Belair. I often correct them and say No the Belair was made by Chevy. This is a Plymouth Belvedere. One person said WOW I didn't know they made Plymouth's back then. Go figure some people, I give up.

A lot of interesting points in this thread.  We run the gamut from casual hobbyists to old car zealots, but folks that exist outside of that realm really have no clue about any car, much less old ones.  

That's what really struck me as odd with the chevy guy that was out of gas on the side of the road. I don't expect the random everyday people to know the difference but even if he's a faithful chevy guy you would think he would know my plymouth didn't look like a chevy. 

That's what really struck me as odd with the chevy guy that was out of gas on the side of the road. I don't expect the random everyday people to know the difference but even if he's a faithful chevy guy you would think he would know my plymouth didn't look like a chevy. 

Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Just dont be one of those grumpy old farts that gets upset if the person looking at the car says something wrong. Inform them, but don't be a jerk about it. Especially if they are of the younger generation like me. I'm 30 years old, the 52 dodge I bought 2 years ago is my very first old car. I appreciate whenever an old timer has some knowledge they are willing to share with me. And whenever I'm talking with an older person about my car at a show, I can really tell that they are happy I own it & they see that the old car hobby is alive & well with the younger generation & will continue for many many years to come.

• Like 2

Don't feel too bad about someone not getting your vehicle's make and model or year wrong.  I sell car parts over the counter for a living and some customers can't tell you what year or make vehicle they drove up in.

Pretty much everyday, what year, a family member had one "just like it"! Then if they give me the chevy thing

I tell them its the first Pontiac GTO design .................................... :lol:  I get a dollar a picture or a coffee at the DD parking lot.

Its all good just have fun with it.

Doc

Pretty much everyday, what year, a family member had one "just like it"! Then if they give me the chevy thing

I tell them its the first Pontiac GTO design .................................... :lol:  I get a dollar a picture or a coffee at the DD parking lot.

Its all good just have fun with it.

Doc

Better than the couple people I've had tell me how much fun they had in the back seat of a car like mine....