Just got a new toy, but can't seem to find alot of info on it

ngrybrd

Like I said it's been pouring. Looks like its not stopping till Monday so I really can't dig into it to get better info, numbers etc.

Edited by ngrybrd

Any thoughts on what was mounted here? There's a very heavy cast iron with red glass marker light on the floor inside similar 3 holed mounting pattern but the lights about an inch wider. I've seen a few trucks with what looks like lights? Could that be?

IMG_20150930_181101902_zps4pfdkcao.jpg

Looks like a decent start. Don't think the brake booster is supposed to look like that.....

Second floor lever is the parking brake. Yes you are missing the wiper covers. You can see the vacuum wiper lines hanging there. Someone may have robbed your motors. Should be a 47 from the serial # being on the drivers side. Dual trumpet horns are an add on from something else. 3 holes on the outside are for the cowl lights. They are the parking lights. On my 46 I currently have them wired as the turn signals.

Dirt20113.jpg

• Like 1

Trans is a 5 speed non syncro. The rubber boot at the shifter tower will show the shift pattern.

Looks like you have a ways to go before the pertronix.

That booster looks too far gone for a rebuild-maybe not.

They are the same for all 1-1/2 ton to 2-1/2 ton B-series trucks. Yours should be the same.

You will need the factory shop manual.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Ya the guy sold it to me as a 1947. But the t137 website decoded it as a 1946 and they said that mid year they moved the tag to the drivers side? So not sure which to beleive. Definitely a ways to go. But its not locked up so I want to try to get it to turn over to see how much hope we have in it. And I ordered the service manual today.

Edited by ngrybrd

Any one know what the second shifter is?

IMG_20150930_180647512_zpsm3eusqos.jpg

I don't see a second shifter. Got the shift lever and the hand brake side by side. Got a starter pedal above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. Looks like someone was short and wanted the clutch pedal a couple inches higher. Old standard high/low beam switch on the floor to the left. All looks pretty standard to me.

I went back out to look at more things closer. I noticed right in the center of the grille, a few inches above the bumper there's a hole in the grille. I looked at alot of pictures and they all have them, but It doesn't really fit the styling of the front end, so I know it was put there for a purpose. Is there something right behind it that you may need access to? Its almost like the hole to the old crank handles on pre-electric starter cars. There is a big old crank handle sitting on the floor of the cab. its not some old school jump start system is it, no need for a friend and jumper cables if that's the case.

that booster might be an expensive one. back in March I e-mailed "Midwest" I looked into rebuilding mine. they told me no parts available and I would have to upgrade to a newer model.

I think with shipping (to Oregon) it was in the $500. area  

the stamp on the side should have the model number if you inquiring about rebuilding yours (c449 on this one)

post-6005-0-34428000-1443670074_thumb.jpg

just info to make you aware of what I have found so far :)

Edited by Brent B3B

I went back out to look at more things closer. I noticed right in the center of the grille, a few inches above the bumper there's a hole in the grille. I looked at alot of pictures and they all have them, but It doesn't really fit the styling of the front end, so I know it was put there for a purpose. Is there something right behind it that you may need access to? Its almost like the hole to the old crank handles on pre-electric starter cars. There is a big old crank handle sitting on the floor of the cab. its not some old school jump start system is it, no need for a friend and jumper cables if that's the case.

Put that crank handle in that hole and crank her over.....

Fast Fun and Easy! :huh:

post-302-0-79317700-1443671686_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the "strip" centered above the windshield was for a set of clearance lights (probably 3).

if you can get the brakes functioning, you will have no problem stopping, even if freighted.  there are rebuilders for the brake shoes in nh (i took mine to sanels, they probably subbed them out to a jobber).

you asked about value.  relative to "pickups", these big trucks end up selling for less.

Put that crank handle in that hole and crank her over.....

Fast Fun and Easy! :huh:

I assume that "fast" and "easy" are an attempt at humor.

I have started my car using the hand crank just to claim I've done it but I sure would not be looking forward to having to do it for real.

• 1 year later...

Hi Gents, 

I know its been a while since posting, but life has gotten in the way as usual.  myfather and i started working on it this past weekend. its amazing how easy al the bolts broke free after all these years. we have come up with a plan to make things prorgess much easier and faster and make maintenance all that easier and cheaper too.   i know this is blasphemy, but i have since got a free, running driving, stopping 79 Dodge motorhome.  its a 440 big block, 727 automatic, drove it the hour long trip home.  i was going to gut the inside and make a custom nice interior for camping with my family,,but its just too far gone, after gutting it, not one solid non rotten piece of structure. would need a full house built on it.  . so as it sits, its a cab over "convertible" dodge van/flatbed.    so my father and i decided  its running and driving, and far more modern so all of the drivetrain and brake parts are readily available.  so we are just going to stick the cab from the 46 on the motorhome chassis and have a running cool truck in god knows how much less time.  we would however, like to eventually rebuild the motor and trans and put that back in if we can.     i did join that dodge truck yahoo group but havent posted over there yet.    i dont want the chassis to go to waste   whats the best way to sell the frame, wheels to wheels, with the steering column still attached?  or is tehre even any interest in that given its size?

As mentioned, big trucks have a small(er) following. If you have room to store the frame then eventually you might fine someone in need.

When you attend swap meets/car shows keep your ears open.  You might also see if there are any farm/machinery swap meets...never know what/who you'll find.

How about some photos of the new project?