1950 3/4 ton Brake system.

Kansas_Nova

I am working on building a whole new brake system, I have a rebuilt master cylinder and new brake hoses but that's currently all I have. I figured buying premade straight brake lines and bending them to fit the truck is my best bet for brake lines. I am trying to figure out the best budget friendly way of replacing or rebuilding my wheel cylinders as well as new linings for the shoes. Anybody have any tips on finding parts for the brakes without spending $50 for each of the 6 wheel cylinders?

Also there are two nipples on the front of my master cylinder and since it wasn't on the truck when I bought it I'm not sure where it is designed to go. If there are any diagrams or pictures for you have that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The two threaded holes in the master cylinder are for the outlet to the brakes and the pressure switch for the brake light.

I am not sure about trucks but on cars of this era the two holes are number 1 for the front brakes that include the brake light pressure switch and the second hole is for the rear brakes.

You should have a local shop that can reline your existing shoes. I'm guessing that springs shouldn't be difficult either, if you don't have an original, just take a measurement from the shoes mounted on your backing plate. I got my wheel cylinders from Robert's: http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/store/  You can find a lot by poking around on-line and searching threads on this site.

Edited by Ralph Pearce

Does anybody know the correct size brake lines for this truck? I have no brake lines to currently reference. 5/16? I would assume brake line size correlates directly to what size threads are in the wheel cylinders.

1/4" brake line. 5/16" fuel line.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

awesome I really appreciate that. anybody know where to get the junction block? It's not posted at oldmoparts.com

I just bought a new one for my 94 dakota this summer and it looks like the same part my 48 plymouth uses.

. I am trying to figure out the best budget friendly way of replacing or rebuilding my wheel cylinders as well as new linings for the shoes. Anybody have any tips on finding parts for the brakes without spending $50 for each of the 6 wheel cylinders?

not sure what price you want to get to, but Rockauto sells wheel cylinders for $17.35 each, and if they are salvagable rebuild kits for $6.00

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my brake shoes out to Unlimited Services in Washington State. They "re-shoed" them for $120. Not sure you are going to find them cheaper anywhere. I also found new wheel cylinders and lines for the front all for under $100 shipped. At some point somebody upgraded my 1/2 fronts for 3/4 or 1 tone, as the are now single cylinder 11x2.5" and 5" on 5" lug pattern.