Daily driver.........first impressions.

Jeff Balazs

:) I got a warning ticket the first week we were there for parking on the street in front of the house after 10pm. Next one is $300 and tow away. Aint joking. Our next door neighbor told me she had a family gathering a while back and forgot to go out and put her car in the garage. They had come at 3am and towed it off. She has lived there for over 20 years and is still hot about that one. Last week we had to replace a garage door opener after work. Patrol car came by 3 times between 9pm and 9:45 when we finished the job. Too many rules and they don't cut you any slack.

I think the only reason I didn't get a fine & ticket that first time is the security guys like my truck. Not going to push my luck with that. Buddy and I are going to have to get real creative in making our statements against this oppressive stuff. Coto was a hunting preserve back in the days of the Spanish Dons. Perhaps it is time for Zorro to pay them a visit? :D I have always been fond of that character.

Some neighborhood associations can be anal in following the rules. For the first time in my life I now live in a neighborhood with rules. But the rules are pretty relaxed. No out buildings in the back yard. No new fences without prior approval. If you don't cut the grass they will cut it for you for a very expensive fee. However there are no rules about parking on the street or garage doors being closed. If there were garage door rules I would be in trouble. I spend most days in my garage with the door open as that is where my hobbies are.

001_6.jpg

Damn HOA's. Those are some harsh rules.

Jeff you should get on the board and start to propose some changes.

Or make some fake signs.

"No BMWs past this point"

"No 'enhanced' individuals allowed in the pool between 2 and 4 p.m."

"Vehicles with gold emblems will be towed at owner's expense"

• Like 2

Jeff, Were you able to keep the thumper...that might wake up the neighbours. :)

I kept my bikes but they are in storage. The old thumper is actually pretty quiet..... the 2 stroke Stormer is another thing altogether. One of the loudest bikes you will ever hear. Got a very unique sound too. Some say it is one you never forget. My Kiwi buddy Marty best described it like someone cutting a 55 gallon drum apart with a dull chainsaw. I was thinking of selling the Stormer and using the money to fit a sidecar to the 500 thumper. I would do it for the fun but I am not sure I can get Buddy to wear goggles ...... I feel certain the sight of us pulling up to the clubhouse for Sunday brunch would raise more than a few eyebrows.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

I feel certain the sight of us pulling up to the clubhouse for Sunday brunch would raise more than a few eyebrows.

Then, I guess, a yard car parked next to the house on concrete blocks would be quickly noticed?

These reasons are why I hate city living.  Having been in the country for 2 years now and on acreage....they can TRY to change things in the future on me, but with my tree coverage they'd have to do it by trespassing or aerial views!

12 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

These reasons are why I hate city living.  Having been in the country for 2 years now and on acreage....they can TRY to change things in the future on me, but with my tree coverage they'd have to do it by trespassing or aerial views!

a lot of municipalities use google earth in the initial stages of investigating zoning violations.

drones are increasingly popular, too.

40 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

27 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

a lot of municipalities use google earth in the initial stages of investigating zoning violations.

There are trade offs with every living arrangement. The valley Coto is situated in is about 5000 acres much of it looks like a very nice park. It is almost completely surrounded by nature preserve and state & national wilderness land. There are 75 miles of horse trails and hundreds of miles of hiking trails within a short walk of our home. It is a pretty sweet set up once you get used to the rules. I believe it was the first planned community in this part of Southern California. Compared to most of Orange County it definitely has it's benefits. Especially for those of us who have no appreciation of the cold weather climes.

I will try and get some pictures or on truck videos soon. I haven't had time to explore the equestrian center yet but it was built for the LA Olympics and is supposed to be very nice.

Jeff

53 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

What gets me is it is MY land leave me the heck alone!  Just because someone finds something "offensive" now you have to bow to their wishes (unless the shoe is on the other foot).  I'm hoping I'm far enough out I'll not have to worry about it in my lifetime.  So far drones there are no laws about shooting down drones...I like me some AR practice!

On 6/26/2017 at 1:17 PM, Jeff Balazs said:

....snip....

Maybe going door to door in a burro cart with a big simmering pot of crawfish gumbo would be a good way to break the ice with the neighbors? ;) 

This reminded me of one of my favorites by Gene Watson: 

• Like 1

Once or twice a week forum member Todd Bracik drapes a sheet over the side of his backyard garage in his Indianapolis neighborhood and invites all the neighbors to bring lawn chairs and watch old silent movies after dark. He has been doing this for several years and the crowds get larger for every show. He lives in the old neighborhood where I grew up in the early 1950's. There is no neighborhood association to spoil this party and it is a good way to have fun.

silent movie.jpg

• Like 1

I've threatened for a couple of years to have "Movie in the Barn" night. I have a projector that could handle it, and sound - I just need to toss up a sheet or a white wall or something and have an event. Make it kid friendly and invite all the neighbors. Silent movies are an awesome idea... but I don't think I would get many visitors in my area. lol

Kid friendly? Trust me they are way too pampered already in this neighborhood. I am thinking Vanishing Point with the sound cranked up! Did you know that some of the guitar riffs in that soundtrack were done by a very young Stevie Ray Vaughn? More my idea of kid friendly.........

I am fairly certain that Buddy and I are never going to quite fit in. I think we both suffer from NCS (non-conformist syndrome) I curse and smoke too much and he doesn't like strangers or anybody else for that matter. I just got a feeling that we are going to have to go out on the extended road trip. Kind of like Ben Gazarra in "Run for your life".  We have been de facto prepping lately as he got banished from the house during the day last week. Tore up a window screen and was caught on Doggy cam. :eek: Oh yes I am not making that up. He tells me that the kids Chiuahua was driving him crazy and I believe him. So now he is hanging out with me at the shop every day. He seems to be at ease in that environment and doesn't mind the sound of machinery. He is hands down the best dog in the car I have ever owned. Never fusses and it has been hot and miserable. Not sure if we are going to have much of a choice once I move out of this shop at the end of August. I am starting to hear the Eagles playing....Take it to the limit ......one more time......

Eh - I'm 35 and most of the neighbors and friends all have kids, so yeah - we at least need to start the evening with a kid friendly movie - something animated perhaps with a few jokes that go over kids heads. lol Although Vanishing Point would be awesome on the big screen in the barn.... I don't think I would get much social participation around here. You have neighbors too close, I have to draw them in for social interaction.... lol I'm far enough away from neighbors that I could crank the sound up on anything and no one would care.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:07 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

It's been a while. Moved and been driving the wheels off the old truck. It has been great! What a good little workhorse this truck is. No problem keeping up with traffic here anymore. Guess it just needed to be pushed hard and a bit of MMO to get the rings to re seat. I think I even startled some yoyo in a Tesla this morning when he was poking along in front of me. :rolleyes: Too bad......wonder what he was thinking as my grille loomed close?

For those of you who want to use one of these trucks as a daily driver.......It can be done without too many mods.

Jeff

Very interesting Jeff last winter, you were all set to pull the engine, and/or find a solution to make more power.

So whats changed?

MMO is not going to give you that much more power is it?

I post this, as  find this quite interesting that your stock engine, fluid drive, 4 spd truck trans and 3.55 rearend, is now the ticket.congrats, glad its is working for you......

7 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Rings finally seated is my guess. That and I went through the carb another time. At any rate it is good to go and I didn't have to spend any more money.

Really....... after how many miles, was this a rebuild,did you install new rings and hone cyls?

No I just revived it. Was rebuilt a long time ago. Sat for 25-30 years with very little mileage on the rebuild. Pulled the head.....mic'd the bores and they were spot on for 40 over. Did frequent oil changes and eventually started adding a bit of MMO to the oil and the gas. Almost as soon as I started using the MMO I noticed a difference in how well it ran. And it has gotten better the harder it was pushed. I have put about 6-7k miles on it now and it is running better than I expected it ever would in stock form. I am now putting about 250 miles a week on it and honestly couldn't be happier with the way it performs. They are wonderful old trucks once everything is just so.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed two years of trouble free daily motoring. The old truck has been as good as gold. :) It's never left me stranded and has only required normal maintenance and adjustments. It just goes to show you if you start of with a good foundation these trucks can still handle the job. With a few carefully thought out mods that is. ;)

It really makes me glad I took on this project.

Jeff

• Like 7