Daily driver.........first impressions.

Jeff Balazs

Let's change two speed tyranny to two speed rear axle.

Big improvement, you are almost there. I now understand two speed axle. Two speed differential is better yet. However tyranny needs some additional work. Rather than use these often misspelled and misunderstood abbreviations I find it better and more understandable to call a transmission a transmission. Proof reading prior to posting is helpful and a spell-checker could do wonders for you.

[tir-uh-nee] /ˈtɪr ə ni/

noun, plural tyrannies.
arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.
the government or rule of a tyrant or absolute ruler.
a state ruled by a tyrant or absolute ruler.
oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of any ruler.
undue severity or harshness.
a cruel or harsh act or proceeding; an arbitrary, oppressive, or tyrannical action.

I get between 10,000 and 15,000 miles from a set of points on my '33. And I recall getting about the same from points on the last vehicle I drove prior to getting one with electronic ignition in the early 1980s. I don't know what average miles per year for a car is nowadays but, if I recall correctly, in the 1970s and 80s it used to be about 12,000.

So, at least with quality parts (which might not be as available today), going a year on a set of points for a daily driver should not be an issue.

Tod;

You are right about that.......I just didn't have any confidence in the 3 sets I got from different sources. I got metal transfer on two of them in just a few hours use and the third set looked like it had been made by a jungle blacksmith in Cambodia. I really don't like the idea of getting into my truck and wondering if it is going to have a good enough spark to fire off. With the set up I have that thought doesn't even enter my mind. So far it is one of my favorite modifications. Of course time will tell.

Jeff

Don, I lived in the genre of literary metaphor, metaphysics, abstract poetry so long, to come from the dark side is a long journey and oft times blinding. Then to have my vocab fine tuned by a mechanic is a major transformation one that is most challenging, but I will hang in or I will hang.  Yet you can't kill a man who was born to hang!

pflaming, on 09 Nov 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

blah blah blah... abstract ...blah blah.....Yet you can't kill a man who was born to hang!

abstract is a word I have come to associate with you daily....change the line in red to read...You can't paint a truck destined to rust...

remember....you are being watched......always!

Don, I lived in the genre of literary metaphor, metaphysics, abstract poetry so long, to come from the dark side is a long journey and oft times blinding. Then to have my vocab fine tuned by a mechanic is a major transformation one that is most challenging, but I will hang in or I will hang.  Yet you can't kill a man who was born to hang!

Eeeeeeeeeeyoooooow!

Here is one for you Paul.

Roses are red.......Violets are blue......stay on topic....and I will too. :D

And I should have ended with.....and your truck used to be blue ....too.

Jeff

I dunno, is this an attention seeking thing? or someone's punching bag thing? appears to be a vast amount of metricious piffle to me......LOL

I dunno, is this an attention seeking thing? or someone's punching bag thing? appears to be a vast amount of metricious piffle to me......LOL

then you sure will not like the next one.....lol 

There was a man from Reedley

Who's truck was most seedly

When asked "why the rust"

he states "one must"

Always persue things greedily.

PP, told you on  the phone this morning when you called what was in the works.....lol 

then you sure will not like the next one.....lol 

There was a man from Reedley

Who's truck was most seedly

When asked "why the rust"

he states "one must"

Always persue things greedily.

PP, told you on  the phone this morning when you called what was in the works.....lol 

Why wouldn't I?

figured you thought we picking on PP...but then ...we are...lol...all in all I got to admit he takes this in stride almost as well as our boy Norn...

Norm was a great Guy, but Paul takes his truck off the driveway, should he though????..LOL

jeff,

i assume you mean the grand cherokee m/c with booster won't fit in the position of the original dodge m/c, yes?  it is not impossible to use a booster with the original m/c, however.  many of the 1.5 ton and larger trucks were fitted with a remote vacuum booster and the single-chamber m/c (mine has this).  the vacuum booster is located to the rear of the cab, inside the frame rails, behind the fuel tank.  although not [likely] offered in the 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton trucks, i wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to retrofit a "bigger" truck vacuum booster to one.

wally

Of course the Grand Cherokee would have had a booster and as you know that is impossible with M/C in it's original location.

Edited by wallytoo

jeff,

i assume you mean the grand cherokee m/c with booster won't fit in the position of the original dodge m/c, yes?  it is not impossible to use a booster with the original m/c, however.  many of the 1.5 ton and larger trucks were fitted with a remote vacuum booster and the single-chamber m/c (mine has this).  the vacuum booster is located to the rear of the cab, inside the frame rails, behind the fuel tank.  although not [likely] offered in the 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton trucks, i wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to retrofit a "bigger" truck vacuum booster to one.

wally

Wally;

Yes that is what I meant. Having a booster might be nice.....but changing the pedal arrangement and getting the M/C out of that location is what my real motivation comes from. I am starting to get more comfortable with this truck.......but the brake pedal just bugs me. :( I have a few other things I will deal with first.

Jeff

One thing I have noticed the last week or so is that the truck seems peppier than before. Not exactly sure why? But I will certainly take it. Maybe it is the cooler weather or perhaps the rings have fully seated? The only change I have made was to put a set of NGK BR6S plugs in it. Maybe they woke up a hidden pony or two? Not sure but I sure will take it. Every pony I can get. ;)

Jeff

One thing I have noticed the last week or so is that the truck seems peppier than before. Not exactly sure why? But I will certainly take it. Maybe it is the cooler weather or perhaps the rings have fully seated? The only change I have made was to put a set of NGK BR6S plugs in it. Maybe they woke up a hidden pony or two? Not sure but I sure will take it. Every pony I can get. ;)

Jeff

Cooler weather most likely, you really need to experience driving one of these in sub-zero weather...........LOL

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Cooler weather most likely, you really need to experience driving one of these in sub-zero weather...........LOL

Fred;

I think I will pass on that one. :eek:  Yesterday we had some really weird weather here........little drops of water falling from the sky? what the heck was that? Got my truck all wet...... :angry:

jeff

Yesterday we had some really weird weather here........little drops of water falling from the sky? what the heck was that? Got my truck all wet...... :angry:

jeff

Wow, that is strange weather for California. Sounds scary. Did they have to send all the kids home from school? ;)

Wow, that is strange weather for California. Sounds scary. Did they have to send all the kids home from school? ;)

next thing you will tell me the ground moves there too!

• Like 2

It was horrifying.... :D ......3 to 4 minutes of light rain that mixed with the dust from last weeks Santanna winds.

next thing you will tell me the ground moves there too!

:lol: You know it is not so bad.....only happens once in a while. Whereas you guy's are certain to freeze your nuts off every year.