Dim Lights

Reg Evans

I took the '39 Chrysler out for a night time drive last night and was surprised how dim the 6 volt lights are.

Besides cleaning every connection involved ,or a new wire harness, is there another trick to get brighter lights.

What have you done ?  I'd like to stay with 6 volt.

Thanks

Edited by Reg Evans

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=6+volt+halogen+bulb&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=64640854524&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10524434209503896053&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5y1ikkfgou_b

http://www.brattons.com/prodtype.asp?cookiecheck=yes&PT_ID=29&numRecordPosition=11&ph=&strKeywords=&&strSearchCriteria=

Classic and Vintage Bulbs 
82 Cumming Street 
Blackwood, South Australia 5051 
Telephone: +61.8.8278.4393 
Fax: +61.8.8278.4393 
email: acpearson@chariot.net.au

Halogen bulbs for classic and vintage cars.

25 Watt Quartz Halogen Bulbs

lights1_sm.jpegClassic and Vintage Bulbs has a 25 Watt quartz halogen bulb that is a drop in replacement for the number 1000 incandescent but claims to provides about 50% more light than the number 1000 lamp. This brings the light output up to 1960s-early 1970s standards.

Classic and Vintage Bulbs also stocks a 35 Watt bulb which could bring total light output up to the low side of modern standards. This bulb would draw about the same as a 50cp bulb, so powering it with the stock 1933 or 1934 generator would be pushing things. If your night drive is at any speed and/or for any distance, you will run the risk of draining the battery. It would probably work acceptably in a P2 or later car.

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

Looks like someone already quoted something from my web page, without attribution. Basic story: You need to get all the resistance out of the electrical system and get your reflectors clean. Then you should be able to swap the bulbs to quartz-halogen.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights

• Like 1

Reg:  The bulb that was pictures is the wrong bulb.  The correct bulb is a 2331 that is the PreFocus Buld that has the  metal three pin setup.  You can not use the 2330 bulb because on the 39 Dodge/Chrylser and Desoto the  low/High filaments move  from right to left in the buld and the 2330 move up and down.

You could also put on a headlight 6v relay to help.  Ye my headlight on my 39 Desoto are also not the great at night time.  They did make a conversion kit but it takes away from the front end appearance of the car.  You could also put on a sealed beam fog/driving lights off the bumper brackets.   These are great cars for driving during the day time. Also there isa gentleman on the west coast that is anodizinf the reflectors and gives you a brighter reflection. write to me. I might still have the info at home.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Reg:  ....  You could also put on a sealed beam fog/driving lights off the bumper brackets.   These are great cars for driving during the day time. Also there isa gentleman on the west coast that is anodizinf the reflectors and gives you a brighter reflection. write to me. I might still have the info at home.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

That is what I have on my 37.

post-250-0-57074700-1442943292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks fellers.  I will first take a reading with my light meter and then clean all connections and make sure the grounds are good. Then for fun I'll take another reading with my light meter.  Hopefully the reading will be much improved.  If not then it'll be time for halogens and relays. 

You can also power the lights through relays.  This shortens the electrical path reducing resistance.  It also takes a load off the headlamp switch.  Speaking of the switch, there is a lot orfresistance in the stomp switch for highbeams.  Make sure you check and clean those connections.  Also cycling the switch about a dozen times will knock the crud off the interior contacts of the switch. If there is a fuse on the headlamp switch, make sure those connections are clean too.

• Like 1