###Trans and pressure plate help needed

autoexpressionist.com

First off, forgive me that I'm new to all this. I'm learning as I go.

Had a bad clutch chatter in my '47 Plymouth and am replacing the rear main seals and clutch. I ordered a new clutch disc from Bernbaum but the new one has a deeper offset than my original and doesn't seat properly in the pressure plate. I looked on the forums and for other online images and haven't found another that looks similiar to the one that I have. I am wondering if I just need to order another pressure plate or find a different clutch. The clutch that came out is a 9 1/4. Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any sort of plug or cap that is supposed to go on the transmission where it bolts up. I got a new seal and it has a hole around the opening and it seems to me like there should be, but again, I have zero experience and the manual doesn't show anything.

Thanks!

Dan

IMG_0849.jpgIMG_0850.jpg

There is a gasket that goes between the transmission and bell housing.

Suggest you also send your pressure plate to these folks for a rebuild. They can also supply you with the correct disc and  pilot bushing. Do not use grease on the pilot bushing. Soak it in oil overnight prior to the install. Does your flywheel require re-surfacing?

9-8-0421.jpg

First off, forgive me that I'm new to all this. I'm learning as I go.

Had a bad clutch chatter in my '47 Plymouth and am replacing the rear main seals and clutch. I ordered a new clutch disc from Bernbaum but the new one has a deeper offset than my original and doesn't seat properly in the pressure plate. I looked on the forums and for other online images and haven't found another that looks similiar to the one that I have. I am wondering if I just need to order another pressure plate or find a different clutch. The clutch that came out is a 9 1/4. Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any sort of plug or cap that is supposed to go on the transmission where it bolts up. I got a new seal and it has a hole around the opening and it seems to me like there should be, but again, I have zero experience and the manual doesn't show anything.

Thanks!

Dan

IMG_0849.jpgIMG_0850.jpg

what transmission is in this 47 Plymouth.   Something looks odd here.

As far as I know it is the stock 3 speed manual that came in all Plymouths from that year. Nothing about the car leads me to believe that anything was changed. And yes, the photo is the pressure plate. I thought that someone may have replaced the clutch/pressure plate from a truck or something.

Haven't re-assembled anything except for the main seal. I did, however, get a new throw out bearing with everything else just in case.

I have done a few drag racing paintings, mostly as commission pieces, but none of them were from the Kettlersville track that I know of. It wasn't one I was familiar with, but looked it up and found a ton of really great photos. I grew up in more of a dirt track racing family, but old drag stuff makes for such great imagery. Thanks!

Will the disc fit if you take the coffee strainer out of the pressure plate. That thing looks like it belongs in a filter of some sort. I've never seen one in a pressure plate before either.

Don, your picture collection has once again solved a mystery.  It would then appear the disc he received is not correct for that particular pressure plate.

The funny thing is I spent a lot of time surfing the photos of pressure plates on the net and just about gave up. Then as a last resort I looked at my own photo and slapped myself alongside my head.

Pictured is the disc I used but it is not P-15 compatible. It is a T-5 disc.

8-1.jpg

Here is my original P-15 disc that was used with that pressure plate. I gave this disc to Plymouthy.

riveted.jpg

• 5 months later...

My D24 Parts book shows a Baffle in the exploded view of the clutch / PP.  Neither of mine had a baffle when I opened them up.

Still a mystery, but I am moving forward without it.

Did you ever learn more about the baffle?