Leather Connecting Rod Bearing

bamfordsgarage

I haven't been around the forum much lately, been working on the '24 T Speedster and not doing much with the D25 besides using it as my everyday car.

OT but possibly interesting... Here is the Model T poured-babbitt connecting rod that almost stranded us 580 miles (and one international border) from Edmonton on Tuesday, and a mockup of the roadside leather replacement bearing that got us home.

Full story and photos here: http://www.mtfca.com...html?1442104258

post-1019-0-37876300-1442111452_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-54397200-1442111566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A post that stopped me cold!!   Years ago, maybe 45-50, my grandfather told me a story about having a rod come loose when he was decades younger. He told me he had some extra leather on the end of his belt so he cut a piece off to wrap around the crank and got home on it!  I was young and knew everything so I took it as an "Old Grampa" tale.  I thank you for reinforcing my Grandfather's reputation! 

• Like 1

If memory serves me  correct, Tom Joad used a belt on one of the bearings in the Hudson that they were driving from Oklahoma to California in "Grapes of Wrath" during the depression.  I know it is just a novel, but a darn good one

Chris I read you blog, very interesting, thanks for that and the photos

• Like 1

I suspect that trick is limited to cars with poured babbitt bearings. . .

And a CR of 4:1 or less?

Not at all. I did this on my MG Midget, and it worked fine for a few days & maybe 300 miles. I eventually had the crank welded & re-ground, but it was in bad shape on on rod #3, and the leather did amazingly well. I don't recall the CR, though it was stock when I bought the car. I eventually installed Hepolite (5 ring!)  high compression pistons, and it probably wouldn't have lasted as long with those.

I had a high-pressure oil pump, and it blew the gasket out of the oil filter one day. Ruined the crank again.

I had that crank welded a second time, but with those Hepolites it couldn't take it. I started it up one cold morning and snapped the crank right in two.  :o