Just purchased a 1939 Chrysler Royal sedan

Reg Evans

Just took delivery of a '39 Chrysler Royal Sedan.  Love the front styling.  I purchased this car through eBay and the owner description was very accurate except he left off the fact that it is equipped with overdrive.

I am wondering if the overdirve unit for '39 is different than the later R10 unit. I haven't had a chance to put it on the lift for a visual yet. The owners manual shows that the knob should be pulled all the way out to disengage the OD but this knob does not seem to pull out very much. Maybe 1/2" I don't see any wires going to the carb either.

Another question.   The car is equipped with a 241.5 engine. I'm wondering if the only difference between a 241 and a 251 is the bore or is it a combo of bore and stroke ? 

Thanks in advance Guru's

post-32-0-92306400-1441217414_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have sister car to your 39 Chrysler. I have the 39 Desoto Model S6. But no one can tellthe difference between the Custom and the Deluxe Model.

The over drive would use the rod to pull it own and there should be several relays for the unit to work properly. Do you have the service manual on the unit it would be the same as in the 39 Desoto and I could send that to you.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Beautiful car Reg...  The overdrive is probably the R-7 unit, which is quite a bit different from the R-10.  It doesn't have the electronics that the R-10 has.  I bought one for my '50, not knowing the difference at the time.  Neil Riddle was a great source of info.  I wound up selling it to someone who was looking for the R-7 and bought the R-10.

Pete

• Like 1