Bad Carb Rebuilding Experience

linus6948

I had successfully rebuilt my Carter BB carb more than once over the years but I was always aware the carb was "well worn" and it always leaked a little around the throttle shaft. When it started acting up in late July I figured it was time to "bite the bullet" and send it out for a professional rebuild. I went with one out of of a list of rebuilders I found in another thread here in the forums.

http://www.customrebuiltcarbs.com/index.shtml

I shipped it out to them and I got a call a few days later asking for my CC info, I gave it to them and discussed my issues with the carb I had sent them, I was told they would call me when the carb was ready to ship. Close to a month goes by and I received no call from them, late Friday the UPS truck pulls up and delivers my carb.

Early Sat I install the carb and started the car, it was now running worse than before, the carb was leaking and I finally noticed a connecting rod to the choke had been installed upside down.I called and someone answered the phone and told me the boss was not there and I should send them back the carb. I told him I wanted to speak to the boss and he said he would have the boss call me.

After still getting no call by this morning I contacted Mastercard and told them my story and how I was not going to return my carb to the people that installed a part upside down so they could practice on it again.They (Mastercard) were able to reach the elusive boss on a 3 way call and I have to say he was a jerk. Luckily I had taken pictures from the time I opened the package he sent me and pictures are hard to dispute.Also hard to argue that the guy who rebuilt it knew what he was doing.

He finally agreed to return my money $205.00 and we mutually agreed that we will not do business again in the future.

post-4221-0-39947100-1441036825_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-77372400-1441036829_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-47769500-1441036833_thumb.jpg

Here I hold another BB carb along side it

post-4221-0-08539400-1441036837_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Another option I wished I would have known about in time is a 2 barrel Weber that fits on the existing 1 brl manifold

Vintage Power Wagons carry's it for $395.00  Part #03:DCW270

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/featured-parts-catalog.html

Then download the "Fuel"  pdf.

Does anyone have experience with this conversion kit to change over to a two barrel Weber carb that vintage power wagons sells?

https://dochub.com/customprc/XJLyb2/vintage_power_wagons_parts_catalog-group_03_fuel

Edited by linus6948

Nothing wrong with the Ball and Ball carbs as long as they are correctly matched to the engine/clean and have the correct internal parts-jets etc.

• Like 3

Webers are the best carbs in the world and most tunable and will wake up any six.  But if you're not willing to do the jet and road work to tune it for peak performance, (especially jetting in the transition from small primary to larger secondary) it ain't the carb for you.  The 32/36 progressive is near perfect in size, flow and tune ablility for the little flat heads.

Its 15 minutes tuning/jetting and 30 minutes driving for each change and sometimes you get it right right off, sometimes, especially on the progressive 32/36 you need to spend several hours/trips at it.

Lots of folks complain the 32/36 won't transition smoothly from primary to secondary.....usually because they don't understand jetting in a weber.  There are at least 4 jets to work with, and up to 4 or 6 more if ya want to race it.  So, little changes in jetting and adjustment screws make very large changes.  Its no Stromberg or Carter B&B.  Like I said, best carb in the world, bar none. 

Ultimately, with a 32/36 it'll start and run like fuel injection, idle like glass and make more power and better mileage all the way from idle to broken crank!  But.  You'll have to earn it to get the most from it and that means investing the time in the first months to bring the engine and carb together at idle, cruise, transition and wide open throttle.

The same set up is available for much less from Tom Langdon, Stovebolt Engine Company....along with a good 12v HEI dizzy for the flat heads. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

As a emergency repair I installed a Weber 32/36 on my -47 Dodge. The carb I had in my garage, have used it on a Volvo 240 B230 engine before. The reason for the swap: the old Stromberg carb on the Dodge is just worn out. With the weber the car starts easy, idles ok but got high fuel consumption and the car des not pull very good. I guess it comes down to the jets. 

The question: Does anybody here have experience with what jet sizes works good with a single 32/36 on the 230 cui?

• Like 1