brake woes

Materman

yes,it does catch the edge of the drum on all but the very heel and toe of each shoe. also, the drums don't appear to need to be turned, I can't feel a lip even when I run my fingernail over the drum's edge.

please forgive me if i am being a pain, I'm trying not to get off on the wrong foot here :)

yes,it does catch the edge of the drum on all but the very heel and toe of each shoe. . .

If the shoes have been properly arced to the drums this is not possible. But if the shoes are arced for standard size and the drums are turned it could happen.

Think about two circles of different diameters and how they will contact one another. If the shoe is shaped for a smaller diameter then it will touch at in the middle, if the shoe is shaped for a larger diameter than the drum then the heel and toe will be contacting. If the shoe is properly arced contact (or clearance) will be uniform over the whole length of the shoe.

in you oginal post you stated they used 5/32 thick shoe lining and the original lining should be 3/16 so you are already have a thinner pad are you sure they gave the correct shoes when you picked them up from the brake shop.

Are you using an Ammco brake gage to make the toe and Heel adjustments. What have you been doing to move the shoes in and out?. Is this happening on all axles or just the fronts?

I have the Ammco gage to make the adjustments for the toe and heel.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

well, I know that they gave back the right shoes because I had stamped a "f" for the front and "b" for back before I took them,not realizing that they were all the same at the time. Right now, I'm just working on the front axles doing just one at a time.

Up until this, I had never heard of an aamco brake gauge, but I will look for one now.

well, I know that they gave back the right shoes because I had stamped a "f" for the front and "b" for back before I took them,not realizing that they were all the same at the time. Right now, I'm just working on the front axles doing just one at a time.

Up until this, I had never heard of an aamco brake gauge, but I will look for one now.

I sent  you a PM about the ammco brake gage.

Rich Hartung

• 2 weeks later...

I made sure arrows on the cam pins were pointing away from the shoe they are controlling

Is this the correct starting position :confused: :confused: :confused:   I think you are talking about "anchor bolts". Anchor bolts have arrows :)

Edited by shel_ny