A bad OD day in the boonies

martybose

My 47 has been out of commission for quite a while, because I removed the steering box and sent it out to be rebuilt.  I got the steering box back and reinstalled it, but got busy with other things in my life and hadn't taken it out for a while.  So I fired it up late last week, and it wasn't running smoothly.  So I decided to see if going for a drive would clean things up a bit.  Drove it a few miles, and it cleared up nicely, then decided to put it in overdrive and let it run for a while.  As soon as it went into overdrive it sounded like I threw a handful of bolts into the transmission, and it was bucking badly.  Stopped the car, locked out the OD and drove home.  I'm pretty sure that I just destroyed the R10 planetary and sun gear setup.  Ten years ago I had a second OD gearbox, but sold it; now wish I'd kept it.  Not sure what I'm going to do, as I don't think it is likely that I can find the parts to have the tranny rebuilt.

It's been a bad year or so for my car.  First the car bounces wrong on the nasty road into my ranch and flattens the bottom of the oil pan; haven't done anything about that yet.  Then the steering box wears out to the point that I don't feel comfortable driving it across the narrow bridges around here; that I fixed.  Now the OD gets destroyed.  It's almost like the car is trying to tell me something.  I'm not sure what I am going to do.

Marty

Maybe the trans did not go all the way into OD, Drain the oil and see if there are debris, if not, manually place it in overdrive making sure it is all the way in and try it slowly,

I do not think you damaged the gears. They mesh constantly except 1st/revese which slides.

More likely you chewed up the pawl and ring a bit, and probably they can be dressed off to work OK.

It may still work OK without that if the stickiness or whatever that prevented engagement is solved.

Edited by Ulu

Some years are like that. . . This year I seem to be fixing my car more than driving it. Guess that makes up for a long string of years where I was driving it more than fixing it. :)

Don't know much about OD transmissions but as others have noted unless some debris got into the planetary gears it seems unlikely you've damaged them.

My grandfathers od did something similar several years ago, I believe it had something to do with the pawl, and it broke the solenoid shaft. I've got spares for just about every part in the transmission and overdrive unit if you need parts.

• Like 2

I agree with draining the gear oil to check for metal. Do not remember if the OD portion has it's own  drain.

Maybe a call to:  A&A Standard Transmission in Stockton. CA. Has been 2 years ago or so but they told me they still stock many parts for the old Mopar OD's.

Maybe their thoughts whats going on?

209-466-2764

Marty: sorry about the trans, hope the cost is low. How did your steering box come out,would like too get mine done was waiting for your input. Thanks

I don't think the cost will be low at all, but we'll see.  The steering box came out fantastic; the only issue is that they filled it with grease, which I will try to remove and refill with oil.

Marty

I Use 00 Stens Grease. It's semi pourable grease.

Mine is filled with about 1% 90wt and 99% STP.

Didn't have any cornhead grease at the time...

That only works if you live in the desert. LOL

In Minnesota winters you'd rip the wheel right off trying to steer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the verdict is in.  I ran the OD out of oil and burned it up.  I will be getting a new ring gear, a new sun gear, and new needle bearings.  Cost TBD so far, but certainly over $1k.  I asked if there had been a gasket inbetween the OD and the tranny housing, and they said there wasn't, and there should have been one.  The funny thing is that that OD has been in the car for literally years, and never had a problem, but for some reason it must have started leaking maybe a year and a half ago, and I didn't catch it.  Damn.

They should have it back together by the middle of next week.

Marty

Actually it was good news, because he said that all of the parts I need are common with most of the R10's out there, but I would have been totally screwed if I had damaged the output shaft, which is unique to Mopar's, and he hasn't seen any in years!  He commented that he could sell a lot of R10's if he could find some of those shafts.

Marty

I had a little history that made me think that a failure was coming.  The OD worked flawlessly literally for years, until one day it engaged and immediately started whining.  I knew that this was a warning of seriously low oil and an impending failure, so I stopped immediately, locked the OD out and drove home.  Checked the oil level in both the tranny and the OD, and they were both low.  Drained them both completely, then refilled with new Napa GL-1. Checked the level several times until it didn't move, then closed everything up.  The OD seemed to work okay, but had a new vibration when engaged that I suspected was the first sign of some damage.  It worked that way for a while, until the day that it engaged and promptly tried to throw me through the windshield while grunching loudly.  Once again, stopped immediately, locked out the OD and drove home.  Left it sitting until Idrove it 30 miles to Stockton to get it repaired.

Marty