1952 Dodge D42 rear main seal type

mopar_earl

Hello,

I searched the forum but had no luck. I have a 1952 Dodge D42 Coronet Club Coupe with the correct 230 engine. The gasket set the machine shop supplied has a two piece bolt on rear main seal. The engine had a two piece rubber seal when we took it apart. The engine is 5 hours away at a friends and I will be going out this weekend to assemble it. He isn't sure we can use the bolt on seal.

Which seal is correct? Where can I get the two piece rubber seal if that's the one I need. The two piece bolt on is a felpro. I looked online and all I can find listed is the felpro bs6300. Can't find the two piece rubber insert seals. One goes in the bottom cap and the other slides up in the block.

Thanks,

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl

I just did a search of 1951, 52, and 53 and all call for the felpro bs6300. Is it safe to assume this correct and what we took out was incorrect or Dodge changed the design and what was in it was the old design? All I can find is bs6300 or rope seals. Can't find anything on the two piece rubber seal.

Earl

I have a 1953 Plymouth block in my 47,most places told me I had to use the rope seal however 53 had a two piece in the block seal. I found one at Hagens in  Washington State. They are very expensive,around $60 there. I would check the engine # and make sure that your block is the correct one for your car, there may be no bolt holes for the bolt on style.Hope this helps. 

I have a 1953 Plymouth block in my 47,most places told me I had to use the rope seal however 53 had a two piece in the block seal. I found one at Hagens in Washington State. They are very expensive,around $60 there. I would check the engine # and make sure that your block is the correct one for your car, there may be no bolt holes for the bolt on style.Hope this helps.

I did check the block numbers. It's the correct engine for the car and should be the original engine to the car.

Earl

Thanks Don. I did notice Dodge and Plymouth had different cut off years on the insert rubber seals and bolt on seals. I can't find any listing on the rubber insert seals. Felpro only lists that bolt on seal kit for all years. So I don't know if they discontinued the rubber inserts and now only use the bolt on style and my engine will have the bolt holes?

Would be a major hold up on the engine if the bolt on seal won't work on my engine. Being 5 hours away with tolls and all, I would like a plan b seal kit such as the rubber inserts.

My engine and car are 52 year. Don't know if early or late.

Earl

I found a source for the two piece rubber insert seals. Unfortunately I can't have it by the weekend. So hopefully this bolt on seal kit will fit. If not it won't be much of a productive trip. It's called a "in the block" seal and the kit I have is "outside" the block seal.

Earl

Here is a picture of a 1952 Dodge 230 Wayfarer engine. It has a 2 piece rubber rear seal in it.

The block and cap will accept the bolt on type too as the 6 holes are there also.

post-302-0-20275400-1440691542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture of a 1952 Dodge 230 Wayfarer engine. It has a 2 piece rubber rear seal in it.

The block and cap will accept the bolt on type too as the 6 holes are there also.

Sweet! That's the info I was looking for! So either style can be used. Wonder if one is better than the other? Appreciate it! I will feel better on my 5 hour drive to work on my engine.

Thanks,

Earl

We ended up ordering a best gasket brand 3675 two piece rubber inside block seal. We didn't like the bolt on style. Looks like a guaranteed leaker. Also we'd have to dig up bolts and hope the fluid coupling studs would clear them.

Earl

Mopar Earl......My 1953 Motor's Auto Repair Manual, on page 754, shows this about 1953 rear oil seals.....It says,'A new neoprene

rear main bearing oil seal is incorporated on all engines. The new seal is a lip type with a steel channel insert.'   

Earl....Sorry, forgot to send copy...

post-7153-0-64905000-1440956009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1