Had my first hard start today

38plymouth

It's in the nineties here in Florida and the humidity is very high. Took my car out for a five mile drive to the store and when I tried to start it back up it just turned over until the battery almost died and then started. I had to pull the lever to hold the throttle wide open and it started just before the battery died. At least I was lucky and it started. I just got home and turned it off and opened the hood and I can see bubbles coming from the steel line going into the fuel filter. I have the original heat shield on the fuel pump but it seems like the line is getting extremely hot. It is about as far away from the manifold as possible so I'm not sure if maybe there is some type of way to insulate it? If I can see bubbles going into the fuel filter I imagine they must be making it all the way into the carburetor.

Edited by 38plymouth

There is anold trick in which you can use some of the old wooden clip on clothes pins on the fuel line. Clip several of this on the line and I have heard the this helps. Go to a dollar store and pick up a few and give it a try.

Let us know if it works for you.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I was just looking at it a little more and realized something. I have a see through plastic fuel filter on there and that thing is so warm that it's flexible to the touch. It looks like it could easily melt and start a fire. That sucker is coming off of there immediately and I'm going to replace it with a metal filter I also think I will try to move the line as far away from the engine is possible maybe run it back towards the firewall?

Edited by 38plymouth

I like the idea of a see thru filter. I have a reusable filter on mine. It is glass and metal, comes apart to clean and works really well. I also have a plastic filter at the fuel tank. I checked it the last week and tapped it, it turned into a snow globe from sediment build up. I am changing it later today.

Joe

Not a good idea to grind the starter motor until the battery goes flat. This grossly overheats the starter motor and increases the current draw draining the battery faster and reducing the current to the spark plugs. Do short 3-5 second bursts and then wait 20-30 seconds before hitting the button again. Not a good idea to route the fuel line to the firewall. Suggest you route it ahead of the manifold as the under hood atmosphere is much cooler there as opposed to the firewall. I also suggest you lower the float level in your carburetor. The corn oil enriched gasoline sold today has a lower boiling point and will expand and boil in the carburetor when you shut the engine off flooding the manifold and making the engine difficult to start. Lowering the float a bit may help. And as noted trash the plastic filter.

I have routed my fuel line as pictured, I do not use a heat shield, and I have never had the problems you mentioned.

P8210003.jpg

38plymouth are you running pump gas or are you running recreation gas?  I have been running Recreation gas and I haven't had a problem.  Was out last weekend and got stuck in a road closure for 45 minutes.  I shut the engine down after 15 minutes when I realized I wasn't going any where soon.  restarted in 20 minutes no problem and it was about 94 that afternoon.

Don, your heat shield is pictured on the engine with your fancy bent plumbing.....are you saying you have since removed it?

It would be wise for me to actually look at a picture before I post it. I never did actually install the heat shield and I sold the shield several years ago.

Regular gas. I have never had an issue before but it is really hot and humid right now. I don't normally drive it this time of year because of the heat. I think some sort of insulation will fix it. I also need to get a battery tomorrow, mine is really old and isn't cranking like it should.

I just replaced my 15 year old Napa battery with one from Tractor Supply. I got lucky and they were on sale $10 off today. It turns over quite a bit faster now. I moved the fuel line forward few inches and replaced the plastic filter with a Mr Gasket glass see through filter. I discovered that the plastic fram filter I had on there was so melted that it distorted and the filter inside was broken free and just floating around. I won't ever use a plastic filter again even on a lawn mower. That was a fire waiting to happen. I'm going to do a little test drive later in the heat of the day and see how it works out.

I use ethanol free gas as well, seems to run a little better. I have been driving Lady Grey to work and back almost every day this summer and it has been a vicious one here in Arkansas. And I run a clear fuel filter about a foot from the carb too, and it has never seemed to get too hot.

Edited by ledfootslim

Just got back from a drive on the highway and got the car hotter than yesterday. It ran very well but when I got back into the garage and opened the hood I can clearly see bubbles coming into the glass filter again however if the car did seem to start up just fine. I also noticed a couple of bubbles in the glass fuel bowl and the fuel pump I don't remember seeing that before. At least now I have a new strong battery so I'm sure it will start if it does it again.

Just got back from a drive on the highway and got the car hotter than yesterday. It ran very well but when I got back into the garage and opened the hood I can clearly see bubbles coming into the glass filter again however if the car did seem to start up just fine. I also noticed a couple of bubbles in the glass fuel bowl and the fuel pump I don't remember seeing that before. At least now I have a new strong battery so I'm sure it will start if it does it again.

yup, the facts of life in a high temperature, high humidity area.

Combined with a high engine load/speed, underhood temps, voila, bubbling hot gasoline.

How is your heatriser flap, is it free, and in the correct position allowing hot exhaust gas to flow freely out.

I have made a heat shield under my carb, this helps too, will post pics later. Would you believe your problem has been my problem way up here in Canada, when it's 85-95 out with a humidex reading off the map. 

Some have had good luck with an auxiliary electric fuel pump, to be used for hot starts, and after the car has sit for long periods of time.

I hope your new battery helps to resolve this for you, hey carry a squirt bottle of water and spray the fuel pump when it gets good and hot, might help.

The truth is the fuel percolates in the carb too, and cause issues when the engine restarts until things clear a bit.....

No heat riser on my car I have a George Asche modified dual exhaust manifold. Just tried starting the car again after I let it heat soak for a while and it turned over for about 5 seconds before firing. I can live with that.

No heat riser on my car I have a George Asche modified dual exhaust manifold. Just tried starting the car again after I let it heat soak for a while and it turned over for about 5 seconds before firing. I can live with that.

Yup, that would be "liveable", hey look on the bright side, less driving in summer, more in winter, when we can't this far north from October to April.....