Windsor -50, Semiautomatic does not shift up

Stagger

My WIndsor isnt Shifting as it should

Windsor -50, Semiautomatic

* Checked transmissionfluid and the workshop had filled it with ATF oil, i changed it to SAE 10w as is stated in the manual
probably i overfilled it, i filled it from the top but then i realised that there where 3 plugs on the gearbox, drainplug in the bottom and just bove it there were another plug and probably it is here you fill it, not in the top plug.... but what is the use for the plug at the top?

later on i saw that oil were dripping from the case around the tourqueconverter and then i thought that it was the converter that were leaking fluid.... damn, but when i opened the fillhole for the converter i saw that the fluid were ok in it, so the leaking probably came from an overfilled gearbox.

Do someone of you have any other idea for me or do you think that it is the electrical thingys that ruins my shifting?
The cables are pretty wornout..

Xcuse my english, im just an Swedish in love with old american cars.....

• Like 1

Check the Imperial club website they have extensive coverage for the semi auto trans in their repair section.

One canister is the governor, one is the solenoid.  The governor senses speed and transfers that info to the solenoid which the shift,  If the idle is to high the governor will not allow the shift.  If the governor points are sticky the information won't get sent to the solenoid. Both units have internal contact points like the distributor or voltage regulator.  Both may only need to have the points freed and cleaned up to allow proper operation.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_144003491372017&key=f0d80a80838754f59fa7fa48b7fd0bc8&libId=idjjen5f0100b88d000DAa1kj79oc&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fp15-d24.com%2Ftopic%2F39431-new-here-49-coronet%2F%23entry415525&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imperialclub.com%2FRepair%2FLit%2FMaster%2F023%2FCover.htm&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fp15-d24.com%2Fforum%2F4-p15-d24-forum%2F&title=new%20here.....%20%2749%20coronet%20-%20P15-D24%20Forum%20-%20P15-D24.com%20and%20Pilot-house.com&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imperialc...r%2F023%2FCover.htm

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Remember, your transmission will not shift until you release the throttle, that is why the engine idle speed is important.

It should shift up even if the electrics are disconnected.  As I understand it, the electrical components cause a downshift when activated

so it may be possible to troubleshoot by disconnecting the governor.  The upshift should then occur but it will not go back down until you stop the car.

If disconnecting the governor allows the shift to happen then the governor points need attention.

• Like 1

Do as they say above first...then....

A quick test ( short test only) to see if the 1949-53 M-6 transmission will up-shift is by cutting out all the electrical controls/ idle speed ect .

To do this disconnect the red wire @ the "SOL" terminal on the 15 AMP Circuit breaker/ 12 OHM resistor box on the air cleaner brace bracket.

Then try driving the car in high range and let up on the gas ...the transmission should instantly up-shift into direct high and you should be able to drive 50- 60MPH.

You will not be able to have any automatic downshifts with the solenoid wire disconnected. Also to get it to pull out of high direct when coming to a complete stop push the clutch in and wait 5-10 seconds. It should pull back into  3rd gear assuming you were in high range.

If the transmission now up-shifts you have an electrical wiring, solenoid, interrupter switch or some other problem with the transmission electrical circuit.

If it does not up shift possibly an internal issue...blocker ring and sleeve, worn main drive pinion shuttle valve ect.

If oil was running out the lower bell housing because of an over fill of the transmission the clutch disc might be wet with oil!

Time to read the book!

post-302-0-50319000-1453792363_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know the fluid capacity of the M6 transmission?

I've got a 51 desoto tip toe, was working fine, then started shifting up (2\4) slowly but after being parked up a while it's not shifting up at all.

No bad noises and goes into freewheeling mode, just doesn't shift.

Fill it till it's full. 10W passenger side fill plug.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya