new here..... '49 coronet

Materman

hi everyone, just figured out how to post here and also figured I would ask a couple of questions. First, how does one drive a Gyromatic transmission car? this is my first actual car (4 trucks currently own 2 and I'm only 19, started at 14) so its all still new to me.

thanks. ;)

Gyromatic is the Dodge term for the semi-automatic transmission with clutch and fluid coupling.  The coupling is the Fluid Drive, and Gyromatic, tip-toe shift, etc. denote the semi-automatic transmission.     

Use the clutch for shifting.  You can let up on the clutch with the car in gear if you have your foot on the brake.  At idle speed, the fluid coupling will slip.  Accelerate, and it will smoothly engage. 

Gearshift lever Neutral is where you would expect.  No "First", no pull toward you and down.  

Usually shift away and down where you would expect "Third".  That's the "drive range". You are taking off in 3rd, but the fluid coupling makes it possible. At appropriate speed, maybe around 20 mph, let up on the gas and the car will shift (klunk) into 4th.  

Reverse is where you would expect it. 

If you are pulling stumps, push the gearshift lever away from you and up.  The car will be in the "power range", will take off in 1st, and will upshift into 2nd.  This is seldom used. 

Welcome to the coronet. I have a 52 coronet club coupe with Gyromatic.

You can also start out in low range (1st and 2nd) and than use the clutch to shift into the high range (3rd and 4th). It's a very unique trans but I enjoy it since its unique. Ppl are always like huh. Lol

Earl

thank you all for the information on this tranny and the welcomes,I sure am glad that I found this place, chrysler products are a little more different than GM.