cranbrook bumper info req.

bluefoxamazone

Today we jump start cars via the battery and do not know what it is to get stuck on the road. In the 50's when I was a teenager, pushing cars was the norm therefore bumper/grill guards were common. I'm surprised more do not exist yet where they were helpful, moisture and rust was prevalent also.

It is so out of place and ugly looking :( too.

Tacked onto the top of the factory bumper guards with it's own bulbous bumper guards... absolutely no grille protection.

the key piece of informations is that this piece was not designed for this car....it looks so out of place....the clean lines of the 53 grille has been compromised with no real additional protection.  Not all bling bling is a home run hit...but hey...I don't own that car so what the heck do I know...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thank you for that Tim!

Thanks for the useful reply's. I was asking because on my bumper on the two vertical blocks there is a hole drilled. I have always assumed that over the past, someone had installed fog lights on top of it. But it might well have been this bumper addition or how do you call this? Also my personal opinion is that it does not bring any optical improvement (to say it nicely...)

grtz,

Franky

Yes.......there were factory and also aftermarket bumper "guards"......back in the day. 

Have you ever noticed all the scratches and dents on the front bumpers of 40s and 50s cars.......

many from pushing some other vehicle whose battery had run down, or some other problem.

Back in about 1959......I was driving my 1947 Chevy Fleetline two door fastback back to my home town of

Aurora, MO from Springfield, MO.....a trip of about 35 miles.     About 25 miles from home, the timing gear 

went out.  So.....I was sitting on the shoulder of the road contemplating my next move.  When along came a

fellow from Aurora whom I knew from high school (was two or three years older than me).  He stopped to

see what was the problem......then he said he would push me back home.  And he did.  His car was a nice

1952 Olds two door hardtop. 

It was sort of a white knuckle deal -- as that Olds Rocket V8 would easily get us going 50 to 60 mph.

At a certain point the rear end of my car would raise up and start to inch over to one side.  When that

happened, the pusher would let off his gas, and my car would coast on it's own for a ways and get

straightened out.  Then the Olds would speed up and gently make contact with my rear bumper again.

We went through this routine all the way home -- it worked out fine  with no problems.  I don't think anyone

would attempt that nowadays.  My car eventually got a new timing gear.

Here's the ol Fleetline.........

DSC05826.jpg

Franky I would be with you assuming fog/driving lights but even with they would appear quite out of place at that height..time to place a couple polished stainless carriage bolts in place and try not to look at them...

That's what I will do! good hint!!!

they just don't call them bumpers for nothing...

hahaha, never thought of it like this... you're right!!!

Don that depends upon whom you ask.  I drive a beat up 91 GEO tracker for my daily driver.  The outer shell for the front bumper is gone.  I was stopped by a state trooper awhile back because "I didn't see your bumper when I went by".  No ticket because I had one, he just didn't see it.

bumper covers are just that...covers for the bumper...I am amazed you got pulled..what do they do the classic rodders that shave the front and rear bumpers..personally I would throw their car off the road as unsafe but that is just me....I would also throw some jacked up trucks off the road for too high a bumper..there is a set height you cannot bust...but then as I said..I take a hard nose approach to this type stuff...

All the roll backs have to have a safety bar on them to prevent vehicles from nosediving under the back of the bed and using the rear tires as the final stop. The bed of the roll back could end up in the windshield or beyond without them.  The same safety bar setup should be required on all the lifted vehicles that place the bumper above spec.

that is singularly  the main draw back to states that no longer have an annual inspection..lot of cars/truck and others operating outside some common sense safety laws.  The tropper is empowered to stop and perform a roadside check...but his participation is limited to other more pressing duties most of the time..and as you said..when he does pull you...often he has nothing to quote...next time you see a semi on the highway...look at the drop down bumper on the trailer...am sure that if there was no law the cost to add this would be considered too much by mass manufacturing and the first corner to cut..

It’s factory.  Little known fact, that same grill guard was used on the 57-58 Plymouths.  You can see it below the license plate on my car.

There are holes drilled through it, and it slides into those 53 bumper guards and attaches to them.  On the 58 there are J-hooks that hook around the bumber brace.  But it’s the same piece.

post-250-0-25467800-1439831862_thumb.jpg

If that is a factory Mopar accessory guard for 53 plymouth and it was on my car I'd have the hot wrench out so fast.....and burn it off of the car imediately.

Uglier that any part on a Yugo.

• Like 1