1,000-Mile Road Trip

Joe Flanagan

As a motorcycle rider, I find what wears me down driving my 48 P-15 is dehydration. With the wind whipping around and the sun shining down on you, It's almost like the bike. My dad used to tell me the same thing when he made long road trips back in the 50's and 60's. That wind and sun will dry you out and you really don't realize it till you stop for the day.

Joe

You're absolutely right about the difference in our vintage rides & our modern day rides. Driving on an interstate isn't too bad until you get caught in a traffic jam but driving on the roads used before interstates were  built is definitely different. As I stated, my car is completely stock & original. Rides great til you hit curves. Because of brake system, I made sure there were a couple of extra car lengths between me & vehicle in front while also keeping an eye on driver behind you. On return trip, my right leg started cramping up. Too used to cruise control. I had a 51 ford that had cruise control. it was a cable connected to the carb like they had on tractors & large trucks to raise the idle on cold days to warm engine up. It was the most economical cruise because the engine rpms never changed but you slowed down going up hills & used brakes going down unlike electronic cruise which maintains speed as set.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Greg G.; There is a good possibility I will come to car show. My wife is going to Long Island again for a baby shower  & I'll be a bachelor. I clicked on attachment but only got blank page. Could you post or PM location & address & times.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I feel a lot more comfortable with the car now, having put 900 miles on it during that trip, almost all of them on the highway. As I said in an earlier post, a lot of the trouble is just nerves and anticipating what might go wrong. By the way, Tim, I don't know if you recall but you called the problem exactly during all the back and forth on this thread.

I'm not on the forum very often, but was happy to see this thread today...

Reminds me of driving my old '50 to Tulsa, which was a 3,300 mile round trip jaunt.  The couple of days before leaving on the trip, I was replacing a bad wrist pin in the engine and changing front suspension parts.  No time to really test drive, so we just went for it.  Bought new tires the day we left hoping it would fix a bad wander.  Since it drove straight, we hit the road.  Listening to all the little noises and how they change over the hours nearly wore me out the first couple of days.  After a while, I figured it it was going to fail, it would have done so and I started to relax and enjoy the trip.  Once we got to Tulsa, I started to dread the return trip, thinking about just how far away from home we had gotten...  But we made it without much issue.  I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could.

Happy to see your Plymouth on the road, and burning up the miles. 

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 2

Hopefully you will be able to join us next year for the Northeast Tour.  We are looking at the Berkshire Area. of Mass and SW Vermont.  Looking at Taking a large Vacation rental instead of a Hotel/Motel.  Some activities might include a Mountain Coaster, zip lines, white water trip, Lots of Museums and other stuff in the area. Keep it in mind.