1,000-Mile Road Trip

Joe Flanagan

It would be a good idea to have AAA premium because it's good for a 200 mile tow.

I drove from Moose's place this morning back to my family's place, a little over an hour on the highway with no problems at all. Now I have to face the 500 mile trip back in a few days. What I'm going to do is rent a U-Haul truck and a car hauler and bring the car as far as New Jersey. From there I'm going to unload it and drive it the rest of the way because then I'll be within the free tow range under my AAA coverage.

• Like 3

It would be a good idea to have AAA premium because it's good for a 200 mile tow.

I drove from Moose's place this morning back to my family's place, a little over an hour on the highway with no problems at all. Now I have to face the 500 mile trip back in a few days. What I'm going to do is rent a U-Haul truck and a car hauler and bring the car as far as New Jersey. From there I'm going to unload it and drive it the rest of the way because then I'll be within the free tow range under my AAA coverage.

I spoke to a local fellow who once needed to get his old car towed a couple hundred miles and hand only the 100 mile coverage. Turns out all he did was get a 100 mile tow toward home. At the end of the tow after he was unloaded and the tow truck left, he called AAA again and got another 100 mile tow for the rest of the trip home. I think you get more than one tow per year and all he did was use up a bit more of his yearly quota.

Long way of saying, I'd probably drive the car. Chances are you are good to go. If not and something goes wrong, then have AAA tow you to a U-Haul place and get your truck and trailer.

• Like 3

I spoke to a local fellow who once needed to get his old car towed a couple hundred miles and hand only the 100 mile coverage. Turns out all he did was get a 100 mile tow toward home. At the end of the tow after he was unloaded and the tow truck left, he called AAA again and got another 100 mile tow for the rest of the trip home. I think you get more than one tow per year and all he did was use up a bit more of his yearly quota.

Long way of saying, I'd probably drive the car. Chances are you are good to go. If not and something goes wrong, then have AAA tow you to a U-Haul place and get your truck and trailer.

That's a good idea, Tod. What are the chances that there wouldn't be a single U-Haul place within a 200 mile radius that didn't have a truck and a car hauler available? That would be my only concern but it doesn't seem likely that I'd run into that problem. I'm mulling it over. The problem right now is mainly between my ears. I just don't want to go on a 10-12 hour grind listening to every single noise and braced for the worst. NJ to VA, I think I could do that. MA to VA is a real marathon, though.

What a great experience this has been. People who step up like Moose, Plymouthy, 48dodger, are special and I'm certain most all on this forum.

Out of this experience, I've learned to double check parts purchased. I purchased a door for a 53 Plymouth convertible but was shipped a hard top door. They are not the same and the seller would not make it right.

Final shot, Moose, your handle fits you perfectly, you stood tall, I'm certain others feel the same way. We should modify this T- shirt for you.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

PP I thought we covered this. The door is the same it just needs a convert vent window.

Ed, true, but an incorrect vent window renders the door to be useless. I have been looking now for two years for a window, I will find one, but I should not have trusted the seller and he is a big name seller, one not in CALIFORNIA. 

Ed, true, but an incorrect vent window renders the door to be useless. I have been looking now for two years for a window, I will find one, but I should not have trusted the seller and he is a big name seller, one not in CALIFORNIA. 

No it renders the window useless. Remove the window and the door will install as factory. Yes a convert vent window will be a hard item to find.

The difference between the vert widows is the top 2". The convertible is 2" shorter. To survive while waiting. For a find, it would be very easy to take the window to a good glass shop and cut down the glass, then cut off the excess SS edge and form to fit. I sold the car awhile back, we did not catch the glitch for quite some time. He is not holding me hostage, yet I keep looking. I'll find one, it's out there.

Oh the joys of reworking an old vehicle.

Moose and Joe, glad to hear that the lifter problem was straightened out successfully. I drove from MA to Va and back in my '67 Plymouth Fury and it is a long haul. Moose, is that your '54 Plymouth hardtop? Joe, good luck with your return trip.

John R

Moose and Joe, glad to hear that the lifter problem was straightened out successfully. I drove from MA to Va and back in my '67 Plymouth Fury and it is a long haul. Moose, is that your '54 Plymouth hardtop? Joe, good luck with your return trip.

John R

Yes it is John.  Stop by sometime again!

Interesting news from today, Got a call from a friend of a friend, from Kansas.  He's gonna buy my Model A!  I am officially getting rid of all the Ford sheet metal.  

Next I'm gonna bring a couple more Dodge Brothers vehicles into my stash.  First is a 27 DB three window coupe.  It's complete but rough.  The body from this will fit right on my fast four speedster chassis.  

Next one in is a 20's (not quite sure what year it is just yet) DB pick-up that a friend found for me.  Been stored inside a garage in New Hampshire since 1968!  The previous owner brought it back from Utah and then was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1970.  His parents are ailing and want to get rid of it.  Sad, but...

I hope if you went near that thing PP you were current with your tetanus vaccine...be careful you do not have some tin worms stowaways in your Honda...last thing we need is an outbreak of hybrid tin eaters on the west coast....it would be okay if they would eat just GM and Ford but we all know them little buggers can't read chrome script too well

I just wanted to add a little more to this topic. When I ordered tappets from Vintage Power Wagons, I got 12 of them, each with its own adjuster button screwed into the top. So it appears I was given a mixed set. It's still unknown if I got one defective button/tappet or if one of the two styles I got isn't up to the task.

I just wanted to add a little more to this topic. When I ordered tappets from Vintage Power Wagons, I got 12 of them, each with its own adjuster button screwed into the top. So it appears I was given a mixed set. It's still unknown if I got one defective button/tappet or if one of the two styles I got isn't up to the task.

You might want to contact them and alert them about the problem. This is the first report I have heard about them selling something not up to par.

• Like 1

Good Luck with your decision on how to return & your trip. Can't blame you for being nervous. I'm a little nervous about mine. Wife & I already planned on an approximately 5 hour drive. Will keep it to 55. About 250 miles one way, normally takes us 3.5 hrs. I have AAA Plus which gives me 6 free 100 mile tows a year. However they will only tow you once for the same issue. Hopefully I don't have to use it. As I said previously, trunk is loaded with spare parts, radiator hoses, Fan Belt & tools. Friend that helped me install stereo for trip gave me a big craftsman tool kit & insisted that I take it with me

I'm pretty much looking at the same trip: 200 miles, about four hours. Temps in the high 80s, low 90s, though temperature didn't seem to have any effect on my way up to Massachusetts. I clocked 470 miles before the tappet button started making noise. Oil pressure and engine temp were so steady I pretty much stopped checking at about 400 miles or so.

Drive the snot out of it on the Cape and get your confidence back.  We have encountered a couple of mechanical glitches here in the HV tour with Mark's car.  the electrical gremlins proved to be fuel related and all is now good.  So the 90% rule is proved again.  After swapping the coil again, we found the inlet hose to the fuel pump to be slightly loose.  a couple swipes with the 9/16ths wrench on that hose fitting  and the ignition problems disappeared.    So  far so good.  Other than that My car, Chet's car and Rich W's 49 Convertible have been running just fine.  Had a slight fuelleak at one of my filters that was causing a bad gas smell but a quick trim of the flex hose and a retighten of the clamp was all that was necessary.  We went to a local cruise in last night and Rich and I bookended a Chevy pickup for recognition by the organizer as top three cars present.  Those Plymouth guys kicked a$$.  

• Like 4

I hope I'm not kidnapping Joe's thread but I did half of my trip today. 234 miles one way. From Schoharie, NY to Mastic Beach, NY. Started trip with much trepidation, especially after reading about Joe's trip. AS stated my engine is totally original except for thermostat. Got nervous at first stop for fuel after 120 miles. Oil pressure dropped to 20 lbs at idle. Went right back to a little over 40 lbs when accelerating & stayed there. At first traffic jam, Tappan Zee Bridge, temp climbed to about 200 but went back down when we started moving again. At one point, went about 210 but again went back down once moving again. Temps were in high 80's to low 90's. I have to say I'm quite happy with car. The only down side is that car used 1/2 quart of oil for trip. However, I do have a couple of small leaks. I'll start trip home Monday with a lot less stress & more confidence in "Bella". My better half named car. Joe, I hope your return trip goes as well.

Edited by janan5243
  • Like 3

Will be passing though your home area later today as we travel home via rt 145 and Cobleskill.  Good luck on your return trip.  Other than what was mentioned above the MoPaRs on the HV trek have suffered no operational disorders.  Joe I really hope your car caries you back home trouble free.

• Like 1