1,000-Mile Road Trip

Joe Flanagan

I suspect that others beside myself are very curious concerning the problem, it's cause and the solution. Oft times observing how a problem is diagnosed then resolved is more educational than an "how is it done" question. So then my interest is cause and effect then diagnosis and solution.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

When I adjusted the valves, I recall the interference being strong. But the one that is worn and making noise, there isn't much interference, really. Not like the others.

For my edification, are there lock nuts on the adjustments? From this discussion I have the feeling that maybe the tappets and adjustment screws where changed between when my car was built and this one.

For my edification, are there lock nuts on the adjustments? From this discussion I have the feeling that maybe the tappets and adjustment screws where changed between when my car was built and this one.

Tod , Does your car have lock nuts for the tappet adjustments ?  My 1939 Dodge car engine doesn't have lock nuts but somehow there is resistance built into the design so that the adjustment doesn't change on its own . 

Tod , Does your car have lock nuts for the tappet adjustments ?  My 1939 Dodge car engine doesn't have lock nuts but somehow there is resistance built into the design so that the adjustment doesn't change on its own . 

There are no lock nuts.

There are lock nuts on the tappet adjustment on the '33 engine. Sounds like they changed that part of the design sometime between 1933 and 1939.

Seems like it would be easier to adjust the valves if lock nuts were not used and some sort of self-locking thread was used. Could do it with two wrenches as shown in Don's photo. On mine I need to hold the adjustment with two while locking with a third wrench.

I suspect that others beside myself are very curious concerning the problem, it's cause and the solution. Oft times observing how a problem is diagnosed then resolved is more educational than an "how is it done" question. So then my interest is cause and effect then diagnosis and solution.

Same here.  Been watching this every day.   

When It's all over I like to see a synopsis of what exactly was wrong and how it was corrected.  

• Like 1

Same here.  Been watching this every day.   

When It's all over I like to see a synopsis of what exactly was wrong and how it was corrected.  

I'll try to tell about it as best I can.  So far, it seems not to be a worn tappet button, but just different adjusters.  The adjuster on the #5 intake is very loose.  Almost able to turn by hand.  

I just finished pulling the head, and will remove the valve.  Then will remove the adjuster and see what's wrong with it, replace it with one from my stock.

I met Moose at his place in Hanover, MA today. I can't tell you how great he's been, helping me out with this. By the time I got there, he had the head pulled and was working on getting the valve out. There is nothing visibly wrong with the tappet button in question but it definitely does not fit into the tappet like it should. It's now a very loose fit and you can turn it with your fingers. Also, I have to clarify why I said earlier that this particular tappet button was worn down to half the height of the others and that a few of the others looked like they had worn down, too. It turns out (as Moose pointed out to me) that I used two different styles of tappet button. They have slightly different dimensions but as I understand it are OK to use. I got them from Vintage Power Wagons, I think. There are a few that look short when you look at them, but that's just the way they're designed. Moose showed me an unused one from his stock that is identical. Others look taller because they're a different style of tappet button. I don't believe I noticed this when I built the engine. Anyway, Moose has an incredible setup at his house. I won't even begin to describe it, but it's an old barn with heavy wooden floors, a loft, and all the gadgets and stuff you could ever want. The new tappet button has gone in and has the proper interference fit. The engine is going back together now.

• Like 9

After a quick swim break with the kids, and a run for cat food and oil, I jumped back into it and the head is back on.  Step torqued up to 70 lbs, and started to put back some of the extras.  Now it's time to make dinner for the family.  I plan to finish and run it tonight.

• Like 8

I love this story of how people like Moose and others here are a community that are willing to help their fellow Ply brothers.

I know Plymouth Adams has done the same for me and I am very grateful for the knowledge and generosity.  We have a great group of folks here.

• Like 5

All I can say is I hope that anyone who runs into trouble on the road is as lucky as I've been. I have to thank Greg G. because he's the one who pointed out to me that there was a forum member near me. Up until now all I knew about Moose was that he was a guy from Massachusetts who occasionally posted on the forum.

• Like 2

Moose, you gonna give Joe a ride in the hotrod?

Well, everything worked out, and Joe is here to pick up his car.  Not to often you get to see 24 cylinders of flathead mopar all together and ready to roll.  Had to put the pictures out to prove this happened...

post-681-0-27823700-1440079376_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-26888300-1440079388_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-56933900-1440079401_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-70948600-1440079413_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

What a great experience this has been. People who step up like Moose, Plymouthy, 48dodger, are special and I'm certain most all on this forum.

Out of this experience, I've learned to double check parts purchased. I purchased a door for a 53 Plymouth convertible but was shipped a hard top door. They are not the same and the seller would not make it right.

Final shot, Moose, your handle fits you perfectly, you stood tall, I'm certain others feel the same way. We should modify this T- shirt for you.

• Like 1

Many Kudos to you Moose. An experience like this restores faith in your fellow man. I'm sure that no matter what help was needed, Moose would step up as he has. You deserve a large round of applause.

Joe; I'm sorry your trip was disrupted but thankfully it wasn't a major disaster engine wise. Just a bump in the road. Hopefully you still have time to continue your trip to your family. I'm going on a 600 mile trip this weekend to a family reunion. My first long trip. Like you, I'll have the trunk packed with the basic parts that could fail & a tool box. My engine is still original from factory

• Like 1