Looking for recommendations for a late-model Dodge P.U.

TrampSteer

I'm seriously considering trading in my car to go back to a pickup truck as a daily driver. My very first truck - a D100 with an inline 6 cylinder is a fond - if not underpowered - memory. I've since been driving Ford trucks (250/350 with 460s) and became familiar with them. But the only Dodge I know is my '53.

When my vision turned to a Dodge pulling a Dodge I realized I had no real information to judge. I started by looking at something from the '94 redesign forward. The research problem I've run into is that every time I start talking to a mechanic or technical person they start warning me about the Dodge engines. That makes me wonder about the plan in general. I don't know enough about these newer trucks and thought I could ask for your general opinions on the matter.

My very loose spec is about which truck might be appropriate for a low maintenance daily driver and yet capable of trailering a #5000 pilothouse to a certain bar-b-que next year. Mind you, this is likely the only 900 miles towing it would ever see in any one year. The rest of the time it would be a 40 mile round-trip to work and back.

And I was thinking gas, not diesel (never owned one) but I'd like to hear all sides possible. Is it just the 4.7 liter gasoline engine? Is it specific years?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

REF:

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/1994-ram.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_ram.html

I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that I bought new in 2000.  It has the 360.  I'm always suspicious when mechanics "warn" people about things.  There are indeed quirks and design flaws, but those exist with virtually every brand, and those warnings should be accompanied by the solution.  If they don't have a solution, then I suspect their skills.  (Of course, there are some flat-out lemons out there).  I've towed the D24, Terraplane, and a Falcon across the country (separately) 9 times over the years, with no issues at all.  The only repairs its needed have been a little wear and tear, and from sitting unused for long periods (I had a Govt. take-home car for many years), the past few years I've only used it to haul stuff.  Dodge's 360 and 318 engines have been around for many years - the old tried and true adage.  The majority of problems seem to stem from the stuff attached to the basic engine to make it run more efficiently, not the engine itself.  I've heard Dodge transmissions are weak, too, but haven't had a problem with that, either.  Also consider the number of any model you may be considering that you see are still on the road.         

My opinion. .. the 4.7 is not up to the task of towing 5,000 lbs. The 5.2 (318) and 5.9 (360) are much more capable and none of them get great fuel mileage. I had a 97 1500 with the 5.9 for 8 years and 110,000 miles. Had to rebuild the front end at 70,000, and the AC went at 100,000 miles. Averaged about 13.5 mpg.

• Like 1

Had a 2001 1500 318 for 8 years sold when it had 90k plus. only regular upkeep. 2004 2500 ram 5.7 has 89k on it now runs like new. We have a 99 R/T Dakota 125 k 5.9 did the diff. 2 years ago other than that bullet proof.

...well, my '02 Ram2500 4x4 with the Cummins is my daily driver and around town it easily gets 19mpg...at least that what the computer says. No problem getting 500 miles from a tank of fuel and it has 233K on the clock. Maintenance with the 5.9 is really simple stuff.

Power to tow? More than most folks ever need and the '02 is not the highest rated.

In this area a decent 2000-2002 brings in about $12k and a really nice lo-miler in the $15 range.

My 2¢

• Like 1

Well I only have experience with brand brand new ones.  I'm talking dealer new.  I drive for the Local Dodge dealer when they do dealer trades.  So I have driven everything from the basic V6 regular cab, to the full zoot everything but the kitchen sink $62000 sticker Big Deal, Big Horn Big Hemi Crew Cab,  And some of the Diesel 2500 singles and dualies.

I forget what year they changed the rear suspension from leaf spring to coils,maybe 2012/13, but it really made a difference.  The 5.7 Hemi currently loafs down the road at 65 at about 1280 RPM in 8th gear and even a brand new tight engine will show 19 to 22 mph on a 100 mile plus trip on the highway.  So if looking, I would go with the year they changed to rear coils, the regular Hemi of what ever the year is with the auto and the quad cab.  The only negative I have encountered is that the base model headlights suck.  I mean worse than my 6 V P15.

I can make no claims for reliability after 200 miles.....

• 1 year later...

I have an 05 regular cab 4x4 with a 4.7 and a 6sp manual, tow package and 3.90 gears. I bought the 4.7 because it was the only v8 that comes with a manual trans. I think in 06 they upped the HP about 60 from mine. That being said, I like it, except for the 13.5 combined MPG. I tow with it quite a bit and it does fine, no problems maintaining speed except on the steepest of grades when retrieving my '50 truck.  I don't think the 4.7's mpg is any better than a Hemi, but I don't have an auto trans to rebuild every 100k. I wouldn't reccomend it if you to heavy loads often, but for occasional use it's fine, as long as you don't live in the Rocky Mountains

I do not share the above opinion on the 4.7.....having had a few in the family, own one now....they have proven themselves over and over again...but yes for pure raw guts the 5.9 wins hands down...these things pull without ever grunting....

I have a 25 year old TBI 3/4 ton van 318 with an OD tranny and I have pulled loads to 8000 up pretty step hills and long grades....nary a problem

best bet on transmission..NEVER let the dealerships/oil change places service it....they say they use the right stuff...but you would be surprised...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 9:48 AM, wayfarer said:

sooooooooo, what did TrampSteer do?

LOL - life happened. I was never able to get one due to circumstances. I will say though, that if Plymouthy  is pro 4.7 then they have to be back on the shopping list. ;)

Oh, nothing wrong with the 4.7!  We have an '02 Durango with the 4.7 and 165k on the clock. That sucker still runs hard and gives 20mpg. I need to add that the basic trans is an excellent unit, at least it is in our case. Regular fluid and filter changes are required and our trans is still untouched.

Edited by wayfarer