Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

On 7/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, Don Coatney said:

jumper.jpg

Today I needed some stainless feather washers so I stopped at a Advanced Auto Parts store. I asked the kid for stainless feather washers, he couldn’t find them in the computer so he asked a lady who worked there. She pointed us to the assorted fastener area and the kid said “is stainless metal or plastic?”  I said what the hell are you working here for if you don’t know that answer.  I then said, so I suppose you have no idea what a feather washer is?  He replied, “ no clue”

My first and last time I’ll ever stop at one of those stores again.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

I don’t even know what a feather washer is. 

1 hour ago, Todd B said:

Interesting, we always called them feather washers, google search calls them a star washer. I suppose now you’re gonna tell me Stainless comes in plastic also. 

I know now. :)

Would that be an internal or external star washer? (Or “Shakeproof Lockwashers” as the 1928-33 Plymouth Master Parts Book calls them.)

feather washer keeps chickens clean down on the farm...

I admit to the fact that I have never in my life ever heard the star washers called as such......must be a local thing....I always called a pallet a pal-et  down here they call them pal-lay....and instead of a paper clip they call them Gem clips as Gem as the local suppliers name...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

...and instead of a paper clip they call them Gem clips as Gem as the local suppliers name...

Back when I was getting my mechanical engineering degree I got a job as a “Summer Engineering Aide” with the state highway department. The job was basically being a “gofer” on a survey crew. Mechanical engineering and surveying are two different fields so there was a difference in terminology. But I was young and did not want to admit ignorance on anything. So when a term or phrase came up that I was unfamiliar with I’d look it up in the section on surveying or civil engineering in Encyclopædia Britannica in the evening. I figured out most of the lingo that way. For example, the tape measure marked off in tenths and hundredths of feet was called a “chain” because historically they used chains. And that a “vertical curve” was actually a parabolic curve. But I never figured out why they called the nails we drove into the asphalt for temporary location points were called “PKs”. So at the end of the summer I finally asked why the nails were called that. The crew chief looked at me like I’d just fallen off the back of a turnip truck, walked to the line wagon and pulled out a box of the nails. The logo on the box showed that they were manufactured by the PK Manufacturing Company.

• Like 2