Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

Unfortunately Laurel and Hardy is one of my least favorite acts...there is a museum in their honor about 2 hours from here in the town of Harlem Georgia dedicated to Oliver Hardy as this was his birthplace...the town is small, laid back and very clean and quiet...also in the township is a fair sized facility dealing in 60's-70 Mopar muscle cars.  

Saw this Rock crushing operation on our drive to the Bay Area.  I would like to see that in operation during the week.   Morning Bay Area fog on I 5.

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

Edited by pflaming

49 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Now that is a lot of bull. Bovine is in Australia. It weighs 3100 #'s, twice normal. 

IMG_5529.JPG

YIKES! I bet they are glad they didn't castrate him when he was small.

2 minutes ago, casper50 said:

a steer is castrated.  a bull is notl

You are speaking of the after-effects,not the process.

10 minutes ago, White Spyder said:

Heard on the news that a slaughterhouse refused to take it because it was too big for their equipment. 

I know nothing about the cattle business,but why in the world would any cattle biz want to slaughter a bull that size that can pump out more huge cattle? Put that bad boy out for stud!

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

I'm pretty sure that I read that he's a steer not a bull. That's one of the reasons that they castrate them.  They grow larger/faster.  More meat.

You are probably right.  Bulls seem to have a lot more energy  and these "waste" it by chasing cows around.

Still,that is one impressive creature,and you can bet they regret trimming him down.

The farmer that owns the land on both sides of me used to have a couple of bulls and some cattle they let wander around,and they would come up every afternoon to feed them. I was talking with the guy once while they were eating,and his huge white Brahma bull came up and discovered one of the cows was in heat,and the guys GM diesel pu was in the way. So,with no apparent effort, he just put his shoulder up against the front fender and pushed it sideways in the road so he could go where he wanted to be.

I was coming in from work one day riding my Harley with drag pipes and gutted mufflers,and was stuck in one of the tire tracks in that sand road. As I went around a curve,there stood that white Brahma bull,standing sideways right in the middle of the road. The Harley was doing a little snorting due to having to run that slow,and my immediate thought was "Oh,crap! What if that SOB sees this as another bull challenging him?" Luckily for me,the bike scared the hell out of him,and it SEEMED like he just jumped straight up in the air,spun 90 degrees so he could hit the road running,and hit it it running he did. SOB was gone in the blink of an eye.

There is no way in the world that something that big can move that fast,but he did.

BTW,he,the other bull,and the cattle were mostly tame. Lots of times one would just walk through the electric fence,and several of them would be standing around in my yard when I got home.  If I was driving my car or truck they would just stand there and look at me as I walked past them.

This never bothered me because I was pretty sure them standing around in the yard kept strangers from coming in there to steal something when I wasn't home.  If you don't know them,just assuming a bull is tame is a mighty risky move to make.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Haha 1

There is an old bullring way out of towns east of Stockton Ca. that still holds a annual testicle festival were the main food sold is_  you guested it- -  many ways to prepare them I guess - -never attended.  ?

Still a popular attraction. 

DJ

If you had a couple mountain oysters deep fried in with some Maine oysters, you would hardly know the difference. Now it is rumored that fresh mountain oysters on an armadillo half shell is a Georgia delicacy. I " heard it on the grape vine" ! 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, BigDaddyO said:

Now for something completely different.

image.jpeg

Never seen a kid on a powered bike looking so sad. Think maybe he ran over a fresh cow pie and was crying because of no fender overhead?

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

I don't see it ever being a thing. Minimal tire contact with the road means very poor traction and handling,not to mention breaking.

Would be squirrely as hell at speed.

Plus no protection at all in an accident. You couldn't even hope to be thrown away from it.

AND....,no fenders. Would suck to ride it in the rain or snow.  Not that you would get very far in the snow,anyhow.

Edited by knuckleharley

19 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I don't see it ever being a thing. Minimal tire contact with the road means very poor traction and handling,not to mention breaking.

Would be squirrely as hell at speed.

Plus no protection at all in an accident. You couldn't even hope to be thrown away from it.

AND....,no fenders. Would suck to ride it in the rain or snow.  Not that you would get very far in the snow,anyhow.

What I like about it, American ingenuity, just kids having fun, living proof we will get old, but we do not have to grow up.

Obvious the idea came out 100 years ago, nothing new ... but seeing people get creative and having fun, we need more of it.

• Like 1