Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

I have to confess to LOVING wreckers,but don't remember ever seeing one that stylish before. Hoodathunk of fender skirts on a wrecker?

Anyone know what it is? There HAS to be a bunch of these things in junk yards out west because they are just too damn pretty to crush.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:25 AM, casper50 said:

everyone wants a convertible anyway.

Nobody notice the export '67 Valiant police car?  Per my trusty search engine, "Polis" is the Scottish/Irish variant of "Police"

5 minutes ago, casper50 said:

It's a left hand drive so I doubt Scottish/Irish.  I've lived in Scotland for years and never heard the police called :Polis.

Good point - I just used the dictionary to look up "Polis", but Google "Valiant Police Cars" and low and behold, our beloved Leaning Tower of Power was apparently popular as a squad car in Sweden in the 1960's.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:25 AM, casper50 said:

everyone wants a convertible anyway.

Not everyone - having owned a couple of vintage convertibles myself in the past , I prefer a hardtop or two door coupe/sedan... While a convertible may grab some attention while driving with the top down, and certainly resale value reflected in the price obtained at auctions, IMHO they're overrated, perhaps my age is showing … lol

Edited by T120

9 minutes ago, T120 said:

Not everyone - having owned a couple of vintage convertibles myself in the past , I prefer a hardtop or two door sedan... While a convertible may grab some attention while driving with the top down, and certainly resale value reflected in the price obtained at auctions, IMHO they're overrated, perhaps my age is showing … lol

nah...I would not say your age is showing, only that you have druthers.....I also have a number of convertibles, I do not own nor want to own any American convertible that is pre 60's and only a few that are early 60's.....the tops when in upright position is nothing but one big glob of eyesore...put the Carson top name on it and its becomes double hideous....again, not to slight anyone here, just affirming his position is shared by others....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I have to confess to LOVING wreckers,but don't remember ever seeing one that stylish before. Hoodathunk of fender skirts on a wrecker?

Anyone know what it is? There HAS to be a bunch of these things in junk yards out west because they are just too damn pretty to crush.

EXTRA, EXTRA. Read all about it

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=150241&fbclid=IwAR0J_rjOu1g-Tq9YZQTW21meWCI6m-gNW-ppzUIrWRAyu1iNICgJIlV7RbI

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Thanks,Don!

5 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

wash.jpg

Love the look,but strongly suspect it would be a little squirrely at speed.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:19 PM, knuckleharley said:

Tug Boat Annie is a custom bodied wrecker built on an International Truck chassis.  Apparently it was done in a private body shop.  The shop also supposed re-bodied several trucks into streamliners for beer company delivery trucks.  There are higher definition photos on the web when enlarging them will reveal the three diamonds.  Our next door neighbor years ago had a similar vintage IH Metro series delivery truck next to his garage. It was a plumbers job truck with a standard van body but doors, windshield and headlight treatment were very similar to Annie.

Edited by greg g

1 hour ago, greg g said:

Tug Boat Annie is a custom bodied wrecker built on an International Truck chassis. 

Thanks,Greg.

Kinda hard today to even imagine a small dealership in the middle of no where would even want to build a custom wrecker,never mind be able to afford to do it at today's rates and with the government regulations controlling everything.

At one time it seemed like anything was possible in America. Sadly,those days seem to have passed.

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

That car had mechanical brakes. Anyone interested in driving it home from the mountains? 

IMG_5460.JPG

Oh,it was worse than that. They were operated by cables instead of rods,and cables flex and stretch. Ford came out with hydraulic brakes in 39 that used identical drums and wheels,so there were very few 37-38 Fords that survived the 1940's with manual cable brakes still in place. I happen to have one myself that runs and drives good,but it won't be leaving my garage again until I put the 50 Lincoln hydraulic brakes on it that I now have sitting in the trunk. Mine is a 38 Standard "humpback" tudor,and those front fenders and grilles are just getting too damn hard to find to risk them. Yes,I AM saving the original brakes,wheels,hubcaps,and trim rings for the next owner after I die in case he wants to restore it. I try to throw nothing away that is hard to find,and try to not destroy or modify anything that can't be brought back to original.

Having said that about the cable brakes,in at least one respect there were a huge improvement over the rod-operated brakes because they were less likely to freeze up if you had been driving in the ice and snow. Imagine being 18 years old back in the 50's,and you are driving a 50 dollar 30's Ford with rod-operated cable brakes and go to your favorite bar on a Saturday night when there is snow and ice on the road. You come out a few hours later lit up,jump in your car and take off,and discover at the first stop sign or curve that your brake rods are frozen in place and you have no brakes. Multiple the terror by 100 times if you lived in the mountains and the bar was at the top of one and accessed by those narrow little curved roads that sometimes didn't even have guardrails.

I can't understand why everybody that lived in the mountains in the 30's didn't drive Mopars,just for the brakes if nothing else.

Edited by knuckleharley