Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

3 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Old Woodues Bait & Tackle Shop - It's for sale! Listed March 30th for 11k, then shown later in August having sold for 27,500.00. Guy said he sold it because he couldn't find any peace in the campground. Imagine that?

https://www.dealslister.com/cars/classics/brattleboro-vt/1929-ford-model-a-custom-built-woody-w-teardrop-trailer

More photos: https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com/for-sale/1929-model-a-ford-woodie-wagon

The listing says "based on 1929 model A" and even "used 1929 model A ford", however, looking at the photos I cannot spot one single part that would come from model A ford. Looks like someone has build "home made" on a chevelle chassis - not my cup of tea.

Worms, termites  and  woodpeckers can have it all I care...

Edited by Uncle-Pekka
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uncle-Pekka said:

The listing says "based on 1929 model A" and even "used 1929 model A ford", however, looking at the photos I cannot spot one single part that would come from model A ford. Looks like someone has build "home made" on a chevelle chassis - not my cup of tea.

Worms, termites  and  woodpeckers can have it all I care...

Mine,either. I can honestly say that if the owner were to give it to me,I would immediately put it up for sale.

Still,you have to admire the craftsmanship and all the hours of work that went into building it. There is NOTHING cheap or easy about building a woody wagon.

Edited by knuckleharley

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Still,you have to admire the craftsmanship and all the hours of work that went into building it. There is NOTHING cheap or easy about building a woody wagon.

A lot on  money at least for the oak-wood but I would bet the other flat panels are a plywood  and almost every corner is at 90 degree cuts Fairly easy compared to original builds.

The Big money in original Woodie repair is is in  steam bent hardwoods, proper fitment of parts  and proper fasteners. Slow and Expensive!

DJ

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Tonight I Red an article on Americas' abundance of LP fuel. This transport ship photo was with the article. Amazing ! 

IMG_5312.JPG

that's a baby...…...was part of this adventure by General Dynamics back in the 70's      12 of these tankers were commissioned...you should see one of these spheres from the inside.....these things are huge, just fill it with dimes and give me one......you would be blown away at the thickness of the aluminum these balls are made from...the welding was one heck of a feat...even the plates were shaped on site....

1dbb71c70.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

And yet it was only a few winters ago there was a “shortage” that caused the price to sky rocket, and people were being rationed. I called “BS” at the time, but it really didn’t effect me directly. 

There was a SUPPLY shortage,not a product shortage. It doesn't matter how much they have in the ground or in storage tanks in other states if there is none in storage tanks in your state when it gets cold.

LP gas is good stuff in gasoline engines,too.  They just don't carbon up and last a long time.

57 minutes ago, pflaming said:

1942 Dodge I saw yesterday. Unfortunately a clip was put in the front. I don't think the bed is original, though the tail gate is.

IMG_5328.JPG

can't tell on the bed itself but those are chevy or GMC fenders. Looks like it might have chrome headlights. Paul did you see the front? Being a 42 would be pretty uncommon. More likely a 41 or 46 47

7 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

LP gas is good stuff in gasoline engines,too.  They just don't carbon up and last a long time.

The first service truck that I had, when I became a field service technician, was an ‘86 GMC 3500 with a 454, 4 speed, and 70 gallon LP tank in the back. It ran on gasoline or LP. On LP it would run really smooth, but didn’t have as much power. However, you could lug it down quite low without the chugging that you’d get on gasoline. In the winter months you needed to remember to switch back to gasoline before parking it for the night. If it was too cold in the morning the LP regulator couldn’t provide enough LP gas for the engine to start. Once started on gasoline, and warmed up, it could be switched back to LP. Engine coolant ran through the LP regulator to keep it from freezing. 

And in regards to your carbon comment, you are right. It burns much cleaner, but spark plug life was much shorter. They seemed to deteriorate quicker. 

Saw this picture today. In the '50's these were common in the sky's over our remote ranch in Western Nebraska. The had a very unique sound, on certain wind condition days, we could hear them coming before we could see them. I believe many weee based atSAC inear Omaha, ne and Rapid City, SD. 

IMG_5346.JPG

Edited by pflaming

On 11/5/2018 at 12:46 AM, pflaming said:

Saw this picture today. In the '50's these were common in the sky's over our remote ranch in Western Nebraska. The had a very unique sound, on certain wind condition days, we could hear them coming before we could see them. I believe many weee based atSAC inear Omaha, ne and Rapid City, SD. 

IMG_5346.JPG

No pic, but I got to tour the only one made, cargo version: XC99 when it was on display at Kelly in San Antonio.  That was in the mid '6os.

Those wings are so thick that there is a walkway in front of the engines.  The engine accessories were accessible from there so the generators, hyd pumps etc could be serviced without engine removal or major surgery.

I remember seeing a film on the evening news back (probably) in the '60's. A whole bunch of  retired B-36's were in a plane graveyard. They had this huge guillotine that they stuck the front of each plane into and chopped off the cockpit to save the gauges, etc.

Pete

1 hour ago, jcmiller said:

1942-july-16_blow-fly-inn-9101-n-swift-blvd_a2009-009-3554.jpg.8bb1d7196633e4c0a67dd4c6045a1459.jpg

The 41 to 48 Chebbies are one of the few models I really like. Love to have a 41 coupe or a 46-48 4dr. NOT the model with all the god-awful chrome slapped everywhere on it,though.

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

One enthusiast spent his $$ to attend car shows, this enthusiast saved his to make memories with his family.

IMG_5363.JPG

There was such a thing as a 55 Chevy airport limo?