Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

22 minutes ago, pflaming said:

HOWEVER, keep the old patina and all hell breaks loose, except for the man on the street who grew up with an old truck and sees an authentic rebuild:  flathead six, standard transmission, cracked window, taped upholstery, and he will say, "WOW, I learned how to drive in a truck like THIS, COOL. 

My 1939 IHC pu is all original mechanically,and has several coats of paint on it. The most recent being baby blue latex applies with a roller and brush,and without sanding it first. That paint job is about 15 years old now. Original glasses that are cracked and yellow. Farmer "repairs" to the fender cracks that seem to have been done with a arc welder,and in one place,with a 1/8 inch thick piece of steel strap that was bolted to the fender before being welded.

It probably gets more attention than anything else I own. Every time I park it somewhere,there are people standing around it taking photos with their cell phones when I come back to it. I am sure part of that is due to the originality and the "farmer repairs",but another part of it is due to the art deco design of the D-2's.  They are just pretty trucks.

My plans are to sand it down to the bare metal and then prime and paint it with Rust-O-leum primer and enamel paint,using a better quality paint roller and spray cans. Rust-o-leum has an enamel green that is a pretty close,if not exact,shade of the original green used on most of them,and with a yellow enamel beltline. I will paint it a pale blue instead if I can find a suitable aint,but the main idea is to preserve it and drive it.

All this will probably kill most of the "passerby interest" in the truck because it won't be so much of a "survivor truck" after that.  I don't really care. I use it to haul trash and drive locally for pleasure,and my goal is to keep it preserved to the point that when I die it will attract the interest of someone who might want to restore it,instead of being sold for scrap or to a hot rodder. The engine number,chassis number,and cab number all match,so IMHO it would be a shame to change anything.

BTW,it is no sacrifice to keep it mechanically original. It rides and drives as good as a modern pu,and it has no trouble going down the road at 60 MPH. From a driving and comfort standpoint,it's like driving a 60's pickup.

Already bought new glasses for it. The door glasses were cracked when I bought it,and didn't survive the trailer ride from ND to NC. They just shook themselves into pieces. I also have an original IHC 2 piece AM radio that has been rebuilt that I plan to put in it. For air-conditioning,the windshield frame cranks out,and it also has a vacuum-operated fan mounted on the dash.

The only downside to owning this truck is occasionally some idiot will use the words "rat rod" in my presence,and I admit to getting a little dizzy for a moment before reminding myself they just don't know any better.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2

They are only sure that they do Not have or have not had your cat because they now raise their own herd of prime specimens!

Enjoy your meal! :wub::o

DJ

31 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Found this, sweet! 

IMG_2203.JPG

I often wonder if the homeless of today were not the same hippies of the 60's....they never found themselves (or a job) makes you wonder what refrigerator box this poor sole may be calling home today.  Nice touch with the Willys fender design on the rear...

37 minutes ago, BigDaddyO said:

In keeping with the camper theme.

And who knew that Arctic Cruiser was red?

1926 Camper.jpg

-I'm betting that thing was almost never driven. Can you even to begin to image how poor the performance was with a Model T pulling that much weight? The guy even has a brick chimney and a fireplace! You would think that steam heat would be lighter and easier,or just one of those old tin stoves with a tin chimney.

If I had to guess,I would guess he used the generator to provide electricity. Anybody know if there was any such thing as 6 volt radios for cars in the 20's and early 30's?

In addition,add the weight of all the reinforcing welded to the chassis to keep it from looking like a big "U" with a bunch of wood in between the uprights?

Looks like there is a box under one axle to get the wheel off the ground. I'm betting flat tires were a common problem,too.

Still if you are homeles,poor,and just need a shack to get out of the weather,you could do worse than a mobile one that high off the cold ground.

Edited by knuckleharley

28 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

. . . Anybody know if there was any such thing as 6 volt radios for cars in the 20's and early 30's? . . .

1930 seems to be the date of the first car radio. Apparently made by a company named Galvin Manufacturing who cutely named their product "Motorola". It is my understanding that the early car radios used a motor-generator setup to generate the high voltages needed to run the tubes. Later they came up with a vibrator and transformer setup.

My 1933 Plymouth was factory wired with a radio antenna, though I expect the number of people who could afford a very expensive accessory in the depths of the depression were rather small.

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

My 1933 Plymouth was factory wired with a radio antenna, though I expect the number of people who could afford a very expensive accessory in the depths of the depression were rather small.

From what the old-timers used to tell me when I was a kid,it wasn't the expense of a car radio that was the problem as much as it was the answer to the question "How close is your nearest radio station?"

Yeah,people everywhere were listening to the radio at home at night,but they had big antennas mounted on the roof of their houses. Not much reason to buy and have a radio installed in your new car or truck if you lived so far out in the sticks you couldn't pull in any stations.

I was told that generally speaking,if you bought a 30's car that had a radio in it,it meant the car was probably bought new in a city.

Although my 1939 IHC PU came from Minnesota,and had a factory 2 piece radio in the dash when I bought it,and a radio antenna on the cowl.  Then again,a pu in the rural midwest in the 30's doubled as the family "car" in most places in farm country,and farmers do like to hear news about stuff like approaching  tornadoes or hailstorms while out in the fields. Lots of flatland out there,and I'm guessing the radio signals carried pretty good.

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well, you would definitely not want to paint it white.....read the story I linked above...even painted red.....it got lost for years buried in ice and snow...

I did read about, that's how I found the picture. Searched the interweb, like I usually do when I find something that interests me, and was quite impressed the the while endeavour, right up until they got to Antarctica and couldn't get traction, hence my earlier comment. Anyone, seriously, anyone who lives where there is snow and has driven in it, knows that you need snow tires. Duh. Those skins were designed for use in the swamp. I mean come on. They should have at the very least, tested them once in some snow. All that effort, the planning, building, transporting, everything and considering that they were, in reality, going to the ends of the earth and no one thought of that? They even had two spares. I liked the 4 electric motors, one for each wheel. I was an impressive set up for sure, all for what, about a trip of 100 miles? And there is video footage of it being unloaded and breaking the ramp.

Edited by BigDaddyO