Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

On 10/16/2016 at 8:04 PM, Ulu said:

SS?

Oh . . . Nuclear subs boil water. Don't they?

I just never ever thought of them as Steam Ships. LOL

Actually, all US Navy submarines include SS in their hull numbers. the first modern submarine was the USS Holland (SS-1) commissioned in 1900. The Nautilus was the first nuclear sub SSN-571 commissioned in 1954. SSBN subs were nuclear subs carrying ballistic missiles. Also note that the reactors on nuclear subs were Pressurized Water Reactors so no boiling occurs in the reactor vessel. The pressurized hot reactor water transfers its heat to secondary plant water in heat exchangers called steam generators where the boiling takes place. Hope this explanation is viewed as enlightening, it was not meant to start an argument.

P.S. Two kinds of ships in the world.....submarines and targets!

• Like 2

Years ago a friend's grandfather carried freight from Porterville, CA. to Fresno, CA with a mule train. The distance one way is approximately 75 miles.  He had a "wife" and family on each end. Since he was stopping at towns along the way, it took him a week +\- each way.  I guess one might call him a turn of the century long haul trucker. 

IMG_5900.JPG

Edited by pflaming

If his 2 wives met, that's not what they would have called him. :eek:

@William Davey

An arguement? Sir I'm honored that you would take the time to post all that.

I guess some things like the SS designation become a matter of tradition and accounting and eventually mean little more.

But the thing that amuses me is the thought that a nuclear sub actually runs a steam turbine, so it's literally deserving of the SS.

I took this photo September 9th while in Moncton, New Brunswick.

This piece of steel from a girder from the World Trade Center was on its way to Gander, Newfoundland for a ceremony on the 11th, commemorating the people of Gander for their help 15 years ago.

Tunnel to Towers.png

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Ca. nature caused speed bumps for our drivers!

Much needed!

DJ

Someone has a serious problem....

Toyo Screen of Death.jpg

• Like 2