1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

Since I am waiting on my battery to get here, i decided to work on the rear some more. Today I pulled the overload springs off and pulled the axle housing out so I can clean it up and change out the gears etc. This should look alot nicer once I get her all cleaned and painted.

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

Just returned from a road trip to Fresno to pick up a set of 53 bed sides. Looks like they are a match and just need sanded, painted and the cycle fender bolt holes welded shut, versus my others which had some serious cancer. Looks like a drive well worth it! Im glad I was bored and just surfing through ebay!

IMG_1545.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on cleaning up the frame to paint and got tired of wire wheel and sand blaster. Went looking for trouble and found a bit. Fortunately not too bad and fairly easy to repair. Im sure everyone has to go through some of this when bringing a vehicle back from the dead. I just want to start putting it back together and quit finding reasons to keep taking it apart!

Dirty underside...

Cleaned up a bit... That was alot of cleaner and scrubbing!

Dirty Floor and Frame.jpg

Pulled the floor mat and what a mess!

Cleaned Underside.jpg

A bit better... need to treat that floor and reseal that trans access plate.

Dirty Floor.jpg

Are replacement grommets/seals available for all of the pedals?

Floor Clean Up.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I painted the back section of the frame with some hammer finish black. The frame was pretty pitted from its previous job as a work truck, so I chose something that had texture to not make the pits so obvious. I still have a bit to do, but this was a great start and will get her back on her wheels soon.

IMG_1624.JPG

Then started on the floor in the cab. I need to mask some of the fire wall off and finish painting along with the removable floor plate.

Floor Painted.jpeg

Also started working on the axle housing...

IMG_1625.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

I had planned on doing the rework on The Money Pit in a manner similar to what you are doing here:  remove front sheet metal & engine; send engine block to machine shop for rework; disassemble the bed and stack the panels outdoors to be finished last; cleanup & repair rear axle & suspension; tilt cab back to the rear of the frame to cleanup cab bottom (maybe with roll-on bedliner) and frame section; cleanup front frame & suspension; test rebuilt engine & transmission before installation; etc. etc. etc....this approach takes up less shop space and allows for parallel work to be done as weather allows.  Powertrain work, sheet metal work and initial paint can be done in a smaller indoor space, the frame can be cleaned up outdoors as it does not have to be perfect (who's gonna see it when it's all put together?).  The 500 gallon LPG tank that I reworked 4 yrs ago outdoors still looks as good as it did when I finished, so that has been my test case that has proven that this method works as long as things are kept clean.  Painting was done with a foam roller, and the entire project cost less than $50.  Final paint for the entire truck can be done in an adequately sized indoor space, taking up much less time inside the shop space, allowing other projects to occupy the shop as needed :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

The bed pockets have been removed. There is a skim coat of Bondo over them and the hole in the top of the bed rail. I will grind it off and investigate. I might leave them blocked off if done right. I purchased these bed sides off of eBay a while back. Due to rust, mine were dissolved from the wood mounting angle strip down.

• 3 months later...

My deadline is drawing very near to have Time Machine drive-able. This last week, I finally got the bed together and have been driving her to work every day. That 120 miles round trip in hilly freeway terrain. So far, the 3.73's are pretty good on the highway as long as you keep her between 55-65 mph. She pulls the grades with ease and is a blast to drive. Long term will be some new springs, front disc brakes and finally getting the R10 installed. I know these arent the best pics, but I am loving driving her!

773655_10208712386113745_1707033054105905448_o.jpg

12920461_10209005866610574_8618085546377178445_n.jpg

Bed 7.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 6

Put another 120 miles on her today. Running great! Just had to put the rest of the exhaust on. Before today it dumped just behind the cab with dual 15" glass packs. We will see how it is tomorrow with it exiting out the side. If I kept her dumping behind the cab, I would have to wear ear plugs on long trips!

Day 2 Test 1_zps49jhkfot.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

And still more road testing before my Vegas trip... weather is not playing nice!

Barstow Road Testing 6.JPG

Also did some bumper work. Its far from perfect, but after a couple of hours on the press and some sand blasting, its at least presentable.

Bumper Before and After_zpsgohvoeu1.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

She made it all the way to Vegas and back for Viva Las Vegas. A little over 400 miles total and ran like a champ. Pulled all the grades at 60 and had plenty of pedal to go. The 3.73's seem to work well and I am looking forward to installing the R10 Overdrive for more highway use. She was the only Dodge of that era at the show... Out of around 800+ cars, thats a great deal! Great car show, plenty of pinup girls and headliners of Dick Dale and Brian Setzer! One great show overall!

Viva-Las-Vegas-2016-kustom-hot-rod-Bang SHift.jpg

Even got a little love from some of the models walking around shooting photos with the rides!

Viva Las Vegas 1.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...