1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

More build up completed today... but ended up with 15 of the correct hydraulic lifters and 1 incorrect one in the right box. Summit is sending me a replacement. Hopefully I can get it mostly finished this week after work.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weather permitting, tomorrow I can adjust the valve lash and set her back in her home. Did quite a bit of trimming for port matching on the intake gaskets. I was surprised how much the Best gaskets overhung into the ports. 

Resized_20190323_155243.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 3

I was amazed that Farmer’s burnout video was embedded in the forum- I have to shrink the pixels on iphone photos to upload them and his quality looked pretty good.

I have been uploading clips to youtube then when you hit share and copy link and paste it here the video pops up nicely. 

Congratulations on break in. That thing is a jewel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

I was amazed that Farmer’s burnout video was embedded in the forum- I have to shrink the pixels on iphone photos to upload them and his quality looked pretty good.

I have been uploading clips to youtube then when you hit share and copy link and paste it here the video pops up nicely. 

Congratulations on break in. That thing is a jewel.

I was surprised I could do it also!

The young guy that is my part time help recorded it with snap chat and then sent it to me.  Pretty good quality, and it was only 1.4mb so I could upload it.

Beautiful engine 59bisquik!

• Thanks 1

This ought to fix my car/truck throwout bearing issue until I can get my new tranny. My machinist made me a nice oilite bushing that will adapt the two pieces and keep me from tearing up bearings. I found this a while back and had another thread on it, but just got around to fixing it. Besides this I just need to finish tuning the truck and give the push rods another half turn. I only went a half turn off zero and they are noisy.

Resized_20190403_174450.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Back on the road today and working on tuning. Even after another full turn on the lifters, they are still noisy. I guess we will see if they will break in a bit and quiet down. 

Noisy lifters and all... a guy in a vette was sure surprised from the short little drag this afternoon! 

Also need to work on the gauge voltage reducers tomorrow. Getting around 10v with the Runtz and am going to try a buck convertor next.

• Like 1

Installed a buck convertor today instead of the Runtz voltage reducers. With the alternator charging I get 14 to 14.5 volts and the Runtz put out 10v to the gauges which made the fuel gauge goofy and the temp too hot. With the buck convertor, I am down to 6.24 volts to the gauges and all is much smoother. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

You must be 'Phelan high' being behind the wheel of that jewel once again!

Lol... that's one of the reasons the never put in a university. We couldn't have Phelan High and Phelan U!

It does feel great to drive her again. However, I think I will be wearing ear plugs for the round trip to Vegas...

• Haha 2

Just back from Viva. She made it and it looks like just one noisy lifter/valve to troubleshoot. Otherwise good to go! The current plan is to cut the tops off of my spare valve covers so I can run the engine and find the noisy lifter without making a huge mess.

Resized_20190418_173953.jpg

Resized_20190420_150945.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, 59bisquik said:

Back on the road today and working on tuning. Even after another full turn on the lifters, they are still noisy. I guess we will see if they will break in a bit and quiet down. 

Noisy lifters and all... a guy in a vette was sure surprised from the short little drag this afternoon! 

Also need to work on the gauge voltage reducers tomorrow. Getting around 10v with the Runtz and am going to try a buck convertor next.

Okay inquiring minds wanna know about the Curvette race from light to light....LOL

4 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Okay inquiring minds wanna know about the Curvette race from light to light....LOL

A guy in a late C5 vette wanted to play a little at the light in town. Off the line and up to about 75 I had him by a good car length... after that, he took me easily. But the short distances, I am surprised how quick it is. Just need an overdrive and more gears!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

A guy in a late C5 vette wanted to play a little at the light in town. Off the line and up to about 75 I had him by a good car length... after that, he took me easily. But the short distances, I am surprised how quick it is. Just need an overdrive and more gears!

Huge difference from your 230?

20 minutes ago, 55 Fargo said:

Huge difference from your 230?

Its a day and night difference. It went from old farm truck to hot rod pretty quick. Its been alot of work to build and troubleshoot issues, but definitely worth it.