1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

2 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

I am sure there is a larger plate available. There is a lot of room left on the flywheel and another bolt pattern. If not, I can take it to a clutch shop and they will beef it up.

As for the V8, there is no comparison!

The flatty is nostalgia cool and gets lots of looks at the shows with its acorn nut caps, dual exhaust and carbs etc. Not to mention the flatty sounds great and turns heads with twice pipes and short glass packs.

However,  the V8 has triple the HP with a great sound. The vintage Hemi is one of the coolest old engines out there and looks so tidy with the hidden spark plug wires and such. 

I am having a few oil pressure issues which I need to sort out. Even with the issues I am having, I would never go back the flatty. The V8 is just awesome and makes this thing an awesome cruiser! Once I get the OD squared away I’m sure it will even be more enjoyable.

Awesome.

Dont think even a souped up 265 would be as strong as a mild LA 318.

Hmmm got me thinkin.....

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 6:44 AM, 59bisquik said:

Found out today after some spirited driving what the funny smell was... clutch is t strong enough for this engine. Cruising is fine, but no hot rodding. I sure hope they make a bigger clutch for this?!

Maybe it could be out of adjustment? Or possible the clutch was on the fritz anyway? If pressure plate, maybe the springs are worn out?

I think you can buy rebuilt clutches 10" and 11" from Vintage Power wagons. Or have yours rebuilt. There's a shop in San Jose called B&A Friction the does rebuilding and sells new parts.  Also, Tennessee clutch might have some parts and services available. I got my 11" disk from them and 11" plug n' play pressure plate / housing from B&A.

• Like 1

Another area of concern and possible attention are these truck's frames.

With this added power and torque you might be twisting this old frame a bit. 

Now i did not go back deep into the thread to see if you looked at this.

I do know CCJ installed a wicked LA 360 into his 58 truck and did crack the frame here and there.

On the clutch should be able to find a 10 or 11 inch.

What have you now?

Possibly have it rebuilt to heavy duty specs.

Should be plenty of sources in Cal.

Even up here i can get clutches custom built.

11 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Another area of concern and possible attention are these truck's frames

I plan on doing g a frame replacement in the near future due to a bent passenger side frame rail. One of the members is sending me his stock frame since he is doing a S10 swap.

I plan on reinforcing it and having it powder coated before installing it.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

I plan on doing g a frame replacement in the near future due to a bent passenger side frame rail. One of the members is sending me his stock frame since he is doing a S10 swap.

I plan on reinforcing it and having it powder coated before installing it.

Kool man and you aint afraida work.

Mind you there is not much to these trucks as we both know.

They truly are simple and quite light.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've read through this thread a few times and am amazed that you have done almost exactly what I'm planning.  Your truck is a beauty for sure and will be relying on your shared experiences to help guide me through this process.

I currently have a 1950 218 L6 and am getting ready to add the Offenhauser 2x2 intake, Fenton style headers, Langdon's HEI conversion, and an Edgy cylinder head.  After that I'm hoping to tackle the suspension and brake mods.  I also happen to have a 1955 270 Hemi sitting in the corner I'd like to put in sometime down the road when funding allows.  Should be an interesting job.  

Thanks for sharing and explaining all your work!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got the engine pulled today to troubleshoot the issues. First, I found that the truck has the wrong throwout bearing installed and it is now destroyed. The pressure plate fingers were machining away the low part of the carrier since it wasnt centered. Wondering if a car tranny was installed at some time because the bearing it needs looks like its for a car and not a truck. Just one more reason to upgrade away from the 3 speed.

20180624_132440.jpg

20180624_162030.jpg

These c series trucks  can have a factory car style  3 speed installed.

I once replaced a 3 speed OD trans in 55 with the small T/O bearing and sleeve... don't remember what the details were though.

39 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

These c series trucks  can have a factory car style  3 speed installed.

I once replaced a 3 speed OD trans in 55 with the small T/O bearing and sleeve... don't remember what the details were though.

Thanks! I was wondering about that. Looks like that question was answered. 

I am contemplating a WC T5 or a 700R4... this 3 speed or my R10 are not going back in. I wonder how long they would last behind the hemi. I know the factory 10" clutch isn't up for the job.

A good clutch rebuild shop could at the minimum build a 10" clutch that would easily hold up to that Hemi!  Maybe just a new heavy duty is out there. The shop could also find that for you!

I think the r-10 would hold up if it is from the later ones built, they were installed behind V-8's in the 50's-early 60's. Also other makes did the same with the R-10's.

Are you a led-footed driver??

Good luck with that sweet truck!

DJ

Yup, a bit of a lead foot. Best bet I think is to go for a heavier tranny and not have to worry about it later. I don't mind building and tinkering, but get tired of fixing things when I should of gone bigger in the first place. 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Wayfarer,

Havent gotten that far yet. I had to rebuild the tranny in my Chenowth and currently have to finish up the engine in my Funco. Its currently dune season and the Dodge has had to go onto the back burner until the cars get finished up. However, right after the new year, I need to get back onto the Dodge full time so I can be ready for Viva. I am leaning towards the 700R4 since they make an adapter for it and they are fairly easy to get. But I havent bought anything as of yet, so its not set in stone. How difficult would it be to adapt the AX15? Also wondering about input shaft length and shifter location. 

On 12/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, 59bisquik said:

Wayfarer,

Havent gotten that far yet. I had to rebuild the tranny in my Chenowth and currently have to finish up the engine in my Funco. Its currently dune season and the Dodge has had to go onto the back burner until the cars get finished up. However, right after the new year, I need to get back onto the Dodge full time so I can be ready for Viva. I am leaning towards the 700R4 since they make an adapter for it and they are fairly easy to get. But I havent bought anything as of yet, so its not set in stone. How difficult would it be to adapt the AX15? Also wondering about input shaft length and shifter location. 

Yup, shiverlay parts are easy to get, can't argue with that.   I have a couple pages of info on manual swaps, holler if you have questions we can sort them out.

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=69

You might also find this old thread useful:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hemi-poly-transmission-compatibility-question.396514/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Viva is around the corner and sand dune season is winding down. Time to get back to work!

I just ordered a new Best gasket kit and rope seal kit. The serrations on the crank journal tore up the neoprene seal as suggest by a few folks. I still need to get a new set of lifters and then start reassembly. I blocked off the splash oiling ports on the lifter bores and had the cam reground with more duration for a better lope. 265 to 278 duration should help a bit to get away from sounding too stock. As you remember, some of the lifters were not pumping up properly and I also saw a pit starting on the #7 cam lobe. I will keep the post active with my progress!

20180728_114219.jpg

E67A054A-79D2-455D-AF59-579CCB331E68.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2018 at 12:54 PM, wayfarer said:

Yup, shiverlay parts are easy to get, can't argue with that.   I have a couple pages of info on manual swaps, holler if you have questions we can sort them out.

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=69

You might also find this old thread useful:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hemi-poly-transmission-compatibility-question.396514/

Any insight on the A518? Sounds like it will bolt up to a 727 adapter and keep her all Mopar.

No difference with the 727 and 518. However, the A500 (904) does not work with an EarlyHemi because the starter position was moved about ½" higher and it collides with the block.

With a TF package, you will have a block adapter and a crank flange adapter and a hand full of bolts. The flexplate is the 'other' part that may cause some issues since the current B&M 10231 only has the 'smaller' 10" bolt circle for the converter so you have to verify what the converter has.  Most late stuff is the smaller BC.

16 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

No difference with the 727 and 518. However, the A500 (904) does not work with an EarlyHemi because the starter position was moved about ½" higher and it collides with the block.

With a TF package, you will have a block adapter and a crank flange adapter and a hand full of bolts. The flexplate is the 'other' part that may cause some issues since the current B&M 10231 only has the 'smaller' 10" bolt circle for the converter so you have to verify what the converter has.  Most late stuff is the smaller BC.

Is the 518 a good trans with available aftermarket? I don’t have 500hp, but don’t want a transmission I have to baby either.

The 518 is a 727 with the added overdrive. 

Drag racers regularily put 500 hp in front of the 727...I think that you'll be safe if the trans is in good condition to start with.

The early 518 have a simple toggle for the OD on/off.

Lots of good info on this site:  https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/727-to-518-transmission-swap-information/

• Like 1

Long story short, the "new" timing set that came with the engine isn't giving me the timing I want. The top gear is an Edelbrock made by Cloyes and the lower 9 way gear cannot be identified by either group. Today I will install a new billet Cloyes unit and see where I get.