1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

The big , no HUGE, problem is that using a single long bolt through two opposing ears is that you can easily break one of the ears when you tighten the bolt . The ears do not want to bend sideways and will break.  There is a reason that MaMopar used 3 separate bolts in ALL of their mounts, on virtually all v-8 engines. Please reconsider your design.

• Thanks 2

I can't get over how nice this looks!  What kind of starter  / alternator works?  I'm assuming you'll have to fab a bracket for the alternator?  Does the LA starters just bolt up!

Glad you go the fitment issues taken care of!  How much did you end up trimming for the headers?

Marc

Thanks for the compliment. I am pretty happy with how she looks so far. As for the starter, it uses a 146 tooth early Hemi starter, not the later  LA starter. High torque ones run $200-300. Currently I have a brand new 6v alternator that I was gonna put on the flathead for mock-up. I will need to modify the bracket to make a GM alt work, but would prefer to mount it lower or get a Chrysler alternator instead. As for the headers, I trimmed about 3/4” off the top of the frame on either side. 

Ok, so after a little cardboard origami, I think I might have a bracket that will hang off of the front water manifold and get the ugly one wire alt down low and out of the way. I will have to fab it up out of plate this weekend and see how it works.

705F80A5-E4F3-45FD-9061-382F54F4569C.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Lol... my biggest two obstacles right now are having the R10 to 55 bell housing made and obviously performing engine break in. I am on pins and needles hoping I didn’t screw something up and break in goes well.

the R10 has the right shaft length, but needs a centering ring made for the front bearing cap. The easy part is drilling the new pattern. 

Tell me more about this trailer full of Dosge handy women and BBQ! Good times!

• 2 weeks later...

Making an adapter for the R10 to 55 Bell housing. My machinist fabbed up a metal ring to center the bearing retainer in the housing and then is welding the top holes shut and drill/tap the new pattern. Also resurfaced the flywheel. Hopefully it will be done by this weekend.

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

Got the bell housing back today. New collar machined to center the tranny and new holes tapped. My guy milled a step into the bore so the ring only goes in from the back. Its a tight fit, but that was the extra safety that it couldnt fall forward or be pushed through while installing the tranny for example. Will see how it fits in the truck this weekend.

E3E8E228-C894-45CD-9269-45BA667DBF50.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1