1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

Does the wife know about the second loan on the house that was required to pay for new parts and machine work on the hemi??

Don't worry honey I am saving a lot of $$ by doing the assembly myself. ;):lol:

DJ

1 minute ago, DJ194950 said:

Does the wife know about the second loan on the house that was required to pay for new parts and machine work on the hemi??

Don't worry honey I am saving a lot of $$ by doing the assembly myself. ;):lol:

DJ

Thats not too far from the truth! 

Got the new V8 radiator today. I had assumed that since this truck was available with a V8, the radiator would fit with no issues. Thats what I get for assuming. I am guessing that the front accessories on the V8 must be alot longer than the L6. I will have to trim the upper and lower trim pieces since this radiator mounts forward about 3" more than the L6 radiator. On the up side, its twice the thickness.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Making progress! 325 inches of vintage hemi

New pistons sure look nice. I really like the Clay Smith double roller timing set with 9 way keyway. Running at 2 degrees advanced for a bit more torque.

Original engine deck measured .013 difference from corner to corner and the pistons were .090 down in the bore with a calculated 7.0:1. New pistons are .005 down in the bore and will be 9.5:1.

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New high volume 340 oil pump and adapter installed. A bit of a theme here... 340 Oil pump, double roller chain and ignition.

After closer inspection, I found a pinhole in the oil pan right next to the drain plug. Must of had water sitting in it at one time.

IMG_1996.JPG

If you have a TSC or Cal-Ranch store they sell bolts by the pound. If you need a lot of them that can save you money. Particularly on grade 5 and grade 8 pound of steel is a pound of steel. Where I live it is 2.26 a pound, no matter what grade size, bolt, nail, screw, washer or nut.

• Like 1

One step forward, two steps back. That’s typically how it goes around here.

Cleaning the rocker arms, I found a stuck intake rocker. Looks like it was starved for oil at one time and galled the shaft and intake rocker. Looks like I will be on the hunt for some new ones.

31E6B206-C6A0-4BAE-8C34-81D4AA9DBD11.jpeg

15929024-60F9-404D-B665-CB916D341725.jpeg

Next was mock up the headers and find out that the Wilcap oil filter adapter will not work. Looks like I will be getting the 30 degree model from HHH.

57594789-531C-4152-BE65-298C68878F45.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik

I found a place here in California to rebuild my rockers. They will hard chrome the shafts, bush the rockers and repair the tips. They will upgrade to 5/16 rocker balls for a couple bucks more. Now just to budget it out and get them in the mail. 

I did however get some more build up done this evening. Painted and installed the crank pulley and damper.

Edited by 59bisquik

On 11/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, 59bisquik said:

I found a place here in California to rebuild my rockers. They will hard chrome the shafts, bush the rockers and repair the tips. They will upgrade to 5/16 rocker balls for a couple bucks more. Now just to budget it out and get them in the mail. 

I did however get some more build up done this evening. Painted and installed the crank pulley and damper.

Looks good,that Hemi outta be able to twist that truck frame a bit when you hammer it.....LOL

Friend of mine had a 360 in a 59 that would take it over 120 mph, those frames like to twist a bit with that kinda big V8 torque..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Looks good,that Hemi outta be able to twist that truck frame a bit when you hammer it.....LOL

Friend of mine had a 360 in a 59 that would take it over 120 mph, those frames like to twist a bit with that kinda big V8 torque..

It would be a real good idea to box the frame if you plan on dropping the hammer becoming a regular thing!  Just my opinion

Edited by johnsartain

• 2 weeks later...

My truck is a 1950 with a 500 hp 408 stroker. I boxed the whole frame.

I boxed the frame 10g to the mid crossmember, from there 14g to the rear rear crossmember and then 10g to the rear.

That gave it enough flex for the natural racing surface (salt).

These frames do hide their cracks well....they are usually in the area behind the cab, on top of the frame, near the axle crossmember.

Worth looking for.

48D   

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by the machine shop today and picked up my manifold. My machinist made me a nice 4bbl adapter  for a modern 4bbl carb and also milled the manifold to the larger bores to match. What a difference! ONce I got home, i tossed it on to mock it up and see how the new carb and filter looked too.

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

Very nice!

You should move that into the living room for display 'til you put it in. And put xmas lights on it.

Yes......at my house...you know, for safe keeping....against ,elves i guess. :D

48D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1