1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

The replacement block arrived today. The seller has been great and sent me a replacement block after the original was found to be bad. This is a 315 and looks like its just about ready to go in. I will have the machine shop install the cam bearings and measure the bores so I can order new pistons. Then have them polish the crank and check the heads out. I wonder what type of performance valve job or upgrades I could do while the heads are in the shop.

325.JPG

325-1.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

Gary, 

As soon as I get the cam bearings installed and the bores checked for size, I will be giving you a call to order new pistons and have my cam reground. Looking for something over 9:1 to get the HP up to around the D500 specs or better.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Little update for those following my progress.

Currently the 315 block is at the machine shop. Align bore, deck, cam bearings install, rotating assembly balance and new 9.5-1 forged pistons made. Also getting a valve job and upgraded to the larger car valves versus the small truck valves. Hopefully, we should have everything back from the machine shop before the end of the month.

A nice surprise was opening the engine and finding a new Clay Smith 264H cam with a 440 lift and a matching double roller timing set.

Working on getting the headers, ignition and all of the other miscellaneous items ordered up today also.

When I return home at the end of the week, I need to put my truck bellhousing on my old 270  and measure the front input shaft so I can order my WC T5. 

Its been expensive, but it looks like it is starting to come together.

Stay tuned for the Hemi/T5 install and then going to focus on front and rear sway bars. 

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Parts are starting to roll in while waiting on the machine work. Picked up this awesome LA distributor to replace the old dual points unit. Not much more than a Pertronix unit and this uses standard Chrysler replacement parts and will not need rebuilt.

IMG_1532.JPG

• Like 2

Headed out the the Rattletrap Stampede at March Air Museum. It was 100 to 111 all afternoon. The truck ran hot but still maintained 70 mph for the whole 120 mile round trip. Great music and a pinup contest added to the show. I got a pic or two with the planes which I thought was really awesome!

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

• Like 5

A few more goodies showed up today. Thanks to Gary and Quality Engineered Components for the custom distributor gear that will allow me to run the LA distributor and of course the oil valve. Then some beautiful ceramic headers showed up from Sanderson. I am getting itchy to start moving forward again!

IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

26 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

Nice update today from my machine shop. They ditched the old small truck valves and installed new car valves, springs and hardened exhaust seats. Slow, but we are getting there!

IMG_1574.JPG

Damn!  That's prettier than a speckled puppy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another day of bad news... the original crank was .020 under and needed turned. Of course that didn't work as planned and the crank had also been welded at some point. Replacement crank has arrived and needs a quick polish and hopefully that is all.

IMG_1631.JPG

One of the rods is .030 shorter than the rest due being machined at the wrist pin incorrectly as some sort of repair many years ago. Working on replacing bushings and getting that squared away. After the new bushings are installed and reamed, we will also drill the end of the rod for better oiling. 

The block deck was supposedly squared but was .013 higher on one side and required another cut. Hopefully I will not have to mill the intake to fit.

Next was dropping valve covers, air cleaner and wire covers off at powder coat. The valve covers had previously been chromed and they were rusted and peeling. So instead of blasting and powder coating as planned, they now will be rechromed. While I am blowing my budget, pulled the grill and parking light bezels off and will chrome them too.

This Hemi build only seems to go backwards and get more expensive at every turn. I could of had a new 6.4L crate for quite a bit less!

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Another day of bad news... the original crank was .020 under and needed turned. Of course that didn't work as planned and the crank had also been welded at some point. Replacement crank has arrived and needs a quick polish and hopefully that is all.

IMG_1631.JPG

One of the rods is .030 shorter than the rest due being machined at the wrist pin incorrectly from the factory. Working on replacing bushings and getting that squared away. After the new bushings are installed and reamed, we will also drill the end of the rod for better oiling. 

The block deck was supposedly squared but was .013 higher on one side and required another cut. Hopefully I will not have to mill the intake to fit.

Next was dropping valve covers, air cleaner and wire covers off at powder coat. The valve covers had previously been chromed and they were rusted and peeling. So instead of blasting and powder coating as planned, they now will be rechromed. While I am blowing my budget, pulled the grill and parking light bezels off and will chrome them too.

This Hemi build only seems to go backwards and get more expensive at every turn. I could of had a new 6.4L crate for quite a bit less!

glad you got things figured out, sad it cost ya more than you wanted I bet.  Just goes to show that not everything is correct from the factory 100% of the time.

Not part of the original engine/tranny upgrade... but I got a free 8.8 Ford with unknown origin. After taking it apart, I confirmed its a 3.73 limited slip with 31 spline axles and a 59 1/4 WMS to WMS. Most likely an Explorer axle. 31 spline was the key because that means I can get the discs and backings from the wrecking yard and have a disc brake rear axle on the cheap. If it was a 28 spline (small bearing) the discs dont fit and it would of gone into the scrap pile. The drums and backings on this one were the first thing to go in the scrap pile too. 

IMG_1632.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Heads are officially done. All new valves, guides, seals, hardened seats, milling etc. Also added the Hot Hemi Heads spark plug tube inserts which help keep oil out of the cylinders when changing spark plugs. Waiting on the rest of the rotating assembly to be finished and pick up parts from the powder coater and chrome shop. More updates coming soon.

20170802_170122.jpg

• Like 4

Bad news from the machine shop.. the short rod was from a previous repair with an insert and some locktite in the wrist pin bore. Now I need to hunt up a connecting rod. 

EDIT: Found a NOS one one eBay!

IMG_1647.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Frank... Wow that is super cool! I ran into a guy delivering Drive magazine the other day in front of Napa. He asked if he could take photos of my truck. Little did I know they would be posted up somewhere. 

• Like 1

Pulled the front bumper to fill the license plate and optional bumper guard holes as well as fix some pretty deep gouges from over the years. Not to mention it had been painted with a brush at one time. Oven cleaner does wonders for that kinda stuff! Also added a bit of weld to the top mounting holes so I could use some pretty carriage bolts. I still need to do some final smoothing and sanding, but think they came out pretty good. It will look good for the show today and then I can work on it some more later when I have more time.

BTW... I pulled my original hood emblem off to polish it and broke a stud. I am gonna send it out for repair. Unless somebody has the missing "8" for my V8 emblem they would be willing to part with... Then I would leave my new emblem on there.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

• Like 1

Headed out to a car show today to benefit Project Jasmine which is a cancer foundation. I ended up with an award for #5 in the top 10. The three of us pictures all were together and all placed in the top 10. Also won two items in the raffle. Pretty good day.

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this photo yesterday... looks like I am on the home stretch. Pistons here and new .010/.010 bearings arrived today. Just needs balanced and assembled to verify piston height and I should be close to done with machine work. The machinist is making me a better carb adapter too. I need to get down early next week and drop off the parts so the balancing and finishing touches can get done. 

But since nothing goes smooth... I also have a new aluminum radiator on order that will be here Monday. Mine split at the tank during the last car show and puked all over the place.

IMG_1756.JPG