Cooling system upgrade and other odds and ends

Tommy

The previous owner of my 1941 P12 mounted a later model Mopar radiator 4" from the fan, which will not cut it here in Key Largo.
I originally planned on using a 2" fan spacer to move the fan closer to the radiator. I finally decided to do it right the first time. I pulled out the old radiator and mounts installed by the PO.
Spoke with Jeff at Champion Radiator. It looks like the unit out of a '69 Mustang may work.
Anyway, having the radiator out of the way allowed me to get a better look at the front of the motor and the front cross member. The car is fitted with a later model 25" motor and I was curious about any modifications that were made to accommodate the larger engine.
As you can see in the pictures, there is not a lot of room between the crank pulley and the front cross member- around 1". Since I plan to install A/C in the future, I'll need to install a double pulley on the crankshaft.
I think I'll have enough room to install the pulley, but just barely. Haven't figured out if there would be enough room to get the belts on, though.  :/
Looks like I'll never get that crank pulley off without raising/removing the engine.

post-7335-0-02676700-1438693205_thumb.jpg

post-7335-0-56931900-1438693602_thumb.jpg

post-7335-0-62957600-1438693632_thumb.jpg

My buddy had a Mustang radiator in his 48 P-15 coupe and his 273 SBM would get hot with both a pump mounted can and electric can. He had the 48 radiator cleaned and checked and end of running hot. If you can keep and use your original radiator.

Jim

My buddy had a Mustang radiator in his 48 P-15 coupe and his 273 SBM would get hot with both a pump mounted can and electric can. He had the 48 radiator cleaned and checked and end of running hot. If you can keep and use your original radiator.

Jim

Since the motor was replaced with a later model 25" block, the stock radiator

won't fit. The new radiator will have to mounted on the front side of the original bracket and tuck up under the front sheet metal.