best choice for an ignition upgrade?

bluefoxamazone

Hello all!

As being on the other side of the pond, having no access to- over the counter- quickly available - spareparts, i am looking into replacing the distribution points by some electronic device on my stock 217/6cyl. engine. I have searched this forum but i cannot make my mind up for the best buy. I have read success stories on pertronics but also horror stories on pertronics ( i don't even know if pertronics is available in Europe) so the question is ... what is wisdom?

Thanks out of a sunny Belgium (for this moment at least...)

Franky

• Like 1

Pertronics better be good.  I just ordered an igniter and coil.  My plug wires are not solid wire core, so I should be OK.  But we'll see what the guys' comments are. 

(Comments on those pesky apostrophes:  " guys' " = of or pertaining to the guys.  " guy's " = of or pertaining to just one guy.  " Bob love's Sally " = apostrophes sprinkled on, like pepper.  People think it looks better with apostrophes (apostrophe's) sprinkled on.  You Belgian people probably know all this well.  After all, you have to converse with the British, who are quite proper.  This rant is for those of us Americans, who didn't learn grammar in what used to be called grammar school.  End of rant.)

• Like 1

I just installed the 6v positive ground pertronix and coil and will never use points again. Its a totally different world as far as starting ease, smooth idling and great performance. I can drive my car and it be reliable again.

It takes a lot of carb tweaking and tuning to make it perfect, but you know the ignition is correct and set timing and drive and be happy.

Edited by Conroe Powdercoating
  • Like 2

I can only speak from my own experience on my 1941 Plymouth Coupe..it was what would be termed an "older" restoration when I bought it and had been converted to a 12volt system using later, probably mid/late 50's generator and starter as well as a very rough re wiring job........anyway I purchased a HEI distributor and coil from Tom Langdon, from Stovebolt Engineering in the USA and had it shipped to me here in Oz...........it was sent promptly, packaged well and arrived in about 2wks.......I installed it as directed in the instructions and it was the best thing I had done to the car.....started quickly, even with me standing outside the car leaning thru the window & turning the key(it had been converted to straight key start) ....... seemed to run better, overall would  recommend this system tho' have seen where some have not had a good result.....me couldn't have been happier...........have since sold the car however the dissy had no effect re the sale and would do it again if need be......sorry, this is the best pic of it installed.........Andy Douglas  

post-612-0-82734300-1438604375_thumb.jpg

If you have access to American cars in recycling yards, you could look for the Chrysler electronic ignition for a slant 6 powered vehicle.  It would necessitate a change over to 12 V negative electrical system so not the easiest way to go but on your side of the pond may be a viable choice. The /6 distributor gets modified by using the drive from the flathead 6 dist.  

Good reliable system but a lot of work on the change over.

I have been driving my car for 10 years and about 35000 miles with no ignition related failures.  I guess I don't yet understand the need to replace a well engineered system for aftermarket stuff.  I keep a spare distributor in my traveling kit, all set up and ready to drop in if needed but, it has never been needed.   

I get the fact that these newer ones hardly ever need maintenance, but in the scope of my use of the car neither has the original stuff except for an occasiona gap check and a swipe of the points file every other year.

Edited by greg g

Not really a lot of work to convert if you have any mechanical back round....my coverstion only took a couple of hours total. you have to make the parts from inside your distributor fit the slant six dizzy. never skips a beat. bonus.....parts are availible at most auto parts stores, if you ever need them.

• Like 1

Franky's problem if it can be called that is that he lives in Belgium and its doubtful if hes got access to any leaning tower of power 6's.......the Petronics or Langdon setups would be as good as any in his situation I suppose.......andyd

• Like 2

I still wonder why no-one has setup and started selling converted /6 units. The Mopar parts are extremely reliable and, at least in the states, parts are everywhere...not so with pertronix....

• Like 1

two simple reasons really...finding cores at a entry level for fixing and flipping....finding folks willing to pay the cost for your time and effort and the other simple reason is that anyone who really wants to turn their hand to altering one could well do it himself..I have only found one /6 unit in past couple years at the swap meets to pickup at a decent price..mopar folks I ask if they have them even if I never see them on there lot...I have a standing open order to the local mopar guy who gets the little A bodies and sells them for folks wanting to do V8 upgrades..so far I have gotten none from him also...seems the /6 has already bitten the big one before he snags the abandoned project..so basically I am saying in my area...just not a readily available supply of cores...

Picked mine up at a swap meet for 5 bucks...keep looking but they are getting rare......controller fromMopar performance will cost another 50 bucks

I have the orange controler that is good for 7000 rpm........if ever   lol

you're right Andy,

In Europe you have zero chance of finding this  (or these parts)... I am surprised that they even become scarce in the US.

In the meantime I have found out that my distributor is an IAT 4101. Now I'll start shopping for an electronic kit. I also see that prices of Pertronics in the US are half of what they are in Belgium/ holland/ Germany

A quick search on line comes up with used and rebuilt /6 dizzys. None at $5......but the rebuilt units have all of the new parts that you would otherwise have to buy and they are clean......

Franky.........any thoughts on doing a trade?.......I hear you guys in Belgium do a good line in chocolate......lol......unfortunately I have to watch my figure......yeh sure...........lol....and don't know anyone playing with slant 6's here locally in Oz........also all these conversions are for 12volt systems.......is your car 6 or 12 volt?..........andyd

Hello all!

As being on the other side of the pond, having no access to- over the counter- quickly available - spareparts, i am looking into replacing the distribution points by some electronic device on my stock 217/6cyl. engine. I have searched this forum but i cannot make my mind up for the best buy. I have read success stories on pertronics but also horror stories on pertronics ( i don't even know if pertronics is available in Europe) so the question is ... what is wisdom?

Thanks out of a sunny Belgium (for this moment at least...)

Franky

My Question would be why bother ?  Unlike Ford and GM ignition, your Mopar ignition should work well. Tom Langdon sells modified GM ignition that a lot swear by as is Pertronics. The next question is are you keeping this as 6 volt positive ground or are you switching to 12 volt negative ground.

Franky.........any thoughts on doing a trade?.......I hear you guys in Belgium do a good line in chocolate......lol......unfortunately I have to watch my figure......yeh sure...........lol....and don't know anyone playing with slant 6's here locally in Oz........also all these conversions are for 12volt systems.......is your car 6 or 12 volt?..........andyd

LOL chocolate, beer, beautifull women... you name it we have it..we can work something out, I am sure.

If forum members drop by at my place I'll give them  a treat with beer and chocolate. (they have to keep their hands of my wife tough...)

by the way, my car is 6v positive grond..

cheers!

Franky

Hey PerTronix users:

I just received my 2563LSP6 Ignitor, and I see that it doesn't use a magnet sleeve.  This is the base model.  Should I have popped for a model that comes with such a sleeve? 

How does this Ignitor read the lobes, and how well is it working? 

Franky.....lol...........sounds great, a job lot......lol.......the Langdon HEI is only for 12 volts, not sure about the Petronix setup and I would think that a slant 6 dissy would be o/k as 6 volts so long as you can get a condenser that fits and is 6 volt compatible......but not 100% on this.......anyone know of a slant 6 dissy running in a 6 volt system ?........andyd

Hey PerTronix users:

I just received my 2563LSP6 Ignitor, and I see that it doesn't use a magnet sleeve.  This is the base model.  Should I have popped for a model that comes with such a sleeve? 

How does this Ignitor read the lobes, and how well is it working? 

no, install it and be happy