odd thread size on grill trim bars

I found odd diameter fine thread stud sizes on the Pilot House studs that mount the stainless trim horizontal bars on the front of a pilot house truck . The common 1/4 inch fine thread  nuts are too big and a 10 gauge fine nut is too small . Has anyone else come across this problem ? I first though that the diameter had been decreased by rust but there are some existing nuts that fit well . Anyone know the oddball size ?

They used 12 ga fasteners.

I found the 12 gauge bolts  at Orchard Supply Hardware .  The size is 12 - 24 . I ran a 12-24 tap through the new nuts so that they fit my existing threads better .  They have about 70 stores in California and Oregon . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

12 sizes are still available..just not as common...you want specialty hardware..go to a specialty hardware supplier...you local hardware store may or may not stock this...e-bay however will get you all you want

12 guage is in reference to metal thickness not screw size...it also refers to a caliber of shotgun shell...ask for #12 machine screw or nut/washer as needed

odd size ...not....uncommon today..yes..in a recent project here at the house I drilled and tapped some 380 holes and utilized the stock modern application and factory supplied  #12 machine screw.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

12-28 and 12-32 bolts are still common as well as # 12,10,8, 6 screws in varying lengths, varying head types.  # 6,8, and 10 series bolts are still out there as well. Try a different hardware store.  I've been sourcing them from a local True Value store, straight off the shelf.

2 different pitch sizes for a # 12.  Take a sample with you to the hardware store or the part itself.  None of the grille trim pieces are so large that you can't walk in with one and they'll never mistake it for coming off there one of there shelves.

Plymouthy Adams, I have all the studs.  I was under the impression that dodge used some special clip like some of the other truck manufacturers did. 

Dave72dt, I'll carry one of them into Ace and see what they have.

Thanks for all the responses.

here are some close-ups of a '48 grille bar mounting stud nut & lock washer combo...the lock washers are slightly concaved with the outer teeth on the sheet metal and the inner teeth against the nut.  The studs are #12-28, the lock washers could probably be replaced with a helical spring lock washer :cool:

post-2888-0-67248200-1444186066_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-79421900-1444186080_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-11736800-1444186095_thumb.jpg