Unlucky - but lucky at it

Don Jordan

It was a bad day all around.  It was going to rain so I put my car in the garage.  I don't remember why now but I pulled the hood release - and the whole cable came out (that was unlucky) when I went to the front of the car the hood latch was open (very lucky)  I'm not even sure how to open a hood without the cable.  I'm glad I didn't have to find out.

When I snapped the hood release cable on my Chrysler I figured out I could use a very long (3ft) Philips head screw driver and if I stuck it through the front grill I could push the latch back, the latch that the cable is connected to) and it worked like a charm. I actually used this method until I fixed my cable. The best position to insert the screwdriver for me was the top of the grill just right of the middle when looking straight at it. I would have to angle it slightly towards the driver side when inserted that way it would push the mechanism the same way the cable would pull it.

Again this is on my 48 Chrysler and yours could be WAY different but it's what worked for me.