230 I6 Water Temps

meadowbrook

Hi all.

I have read some threads on the water distribution tube and my take is that it is used to direct water to the valve area.

That being true, where exactly should one point an infrared temp 'gun' on the engine?

Out of curiosity, since I replaced my water pump a couple of years ago and was not aware of the water tube's existence, I never checked it, I want to see if there is a way to check without pulling the WP again.

What I did last night was to drive the car in the highway for a while at 75 MPH and then drove home and after idling a couple of minutes, this is the hottest my gauge got to. It actually normally sits a hair lower than this normally. Temps here are ~82F.

post-3134-0-56601200-1438187942_thumb.jpg

With the IR gun, I measured 180 to 190 at the radiator and tstat housing.

I pointed to the right side of the head as it curves from horizontal to vertical (figured if I went too close to the manifold, the temps would be artificially higher) at roughly where each cylinder is and the temps ranged from 195 near the fan to between 200 and 210 towards the rear of the engine.

I am not sure how precise these IR guns are because sometimes one spot would be 200 and the next moment 210.

By the way, I use 50/50 coolant mix and the car runs fine, no evidence of overheating, ever.

Thoughts?

Edited by meadowbrook

put the ir gun away and enjoy driving your car.  Yesterday I did an uphill run for about 8 miles at 55 to 65 mph.  air temp was 91.  elevation change was about 800 feet.  just before I turned around my gauge read 192.  on the way back down it was at 175 within a mile or so.  my coolant mix is about 70/30 water to coolant.

It has been in the mid-90's here in Arkansas and Lady Grey has been doing fine in it! She stays at about 170 most of the time, about 180-190 in traffic or driving slowly down a dirt road. I'm running about 50/50.

Cooling systems are designed to only cool 10 to 15 degrees. They will always feel hot.

They maintain a temp in relationship to the thermostat. Loads on the engine will raise the temp, but as soon as the load is off the temp should come back to your normal.