Breakfast as an excuse to drive your vehicle

I was sorry I missed you guys. I said yes, but my truck said no. It's the darndest thing and it's happened before. Symptom: Everything seems almost fine except that it seems the truck is running too rich and stumbles on acceleration (as if the timing is not correct) Worst part of it is if I happen to stall when the engine is hot, there is no telling how long I have to wait until it will restart. Except for the rough running and ballerina-like delicacy I have to use on the gas pedal I can get from point "A" to point "B" (like from my house to where we were going to have breakfast) let it cool and then make the return trip, it's the accidental stall that could happen at a traffic signal that leaves me stranded in the middle of traffic that is not acceptable. It's not terrible if it just happens to me just a PITA, but with the wifey along well you know how that goes. 

So my plan of attack goes something like this. Check the points, new plugs (it's time) and condenser. New wires (my cloth covered wires   can get very finicky with the slightest introduction of water which makes me feel like they may be leaky and prone to shorting each other out during running (if this is possible) by the spark jumping between them. Honestly it does feel like a malfunctioning carburetor (I have a spare that not quite correct for my truck (1-11/16 bore not the 1 9/16 bore but it has worked before and using it might help me see if in fact my problem is fuel not spark)  which when overheated will cause gas in the float bowl to boil and flood out my engine. I'm going to take the time to clean-up and make the timing marks on the pully very visible and see if I can really dial the timing in and do ther best tuneup I'm capable of doing.

I missed you guys but there is a whole lot more summer left and hoping to hook up with you next time next place. Unless you own a Chevy or a Ford, I'm afraid swap-meets for Mopar have been over ever since eBay replaced the salvage yards some 10 years ago.

Thanks for the offer Trampsteer hope you me and Rod can get together soon. I'd like to see your truck and see what parts I may have that you need so we can trade.

Sorry I missed you guys, and Jeff wow that's dissapointing..hope you get out there soon..

Hank    :mad:  :)  ;)  

No problem Hank. Just don't want to delay you by sitting on the tool. PM me an address and I'll get it to you at your convenience.

As for that stutter, Rod and I were pouring over the differences between our trucks (50vs 53) and one thing we noted was the location of the fuel bowl. HIs, like many, is up high in the heat of the engine. Mine is low on the right front, under a heat shield so the manifold won't boil it.

Secondly, as you might recall when I got mine out on the road for the first time it was "drive it like you stole it" as it either idled or it roared. That was the middle circuit of the carburetor and a rebuild from Mike's set me straight.

Thirdly, I flat out died in a driveway once after it was hard-starting for a week. Simply cleaning the points got me going, and resetting them (gap and all) fixed all the hard-starting issues. I didn't even actually put in new points.

Hope to get together eventually. Two butterfly hoods open next to each other seemed to draw more than a couple of people driving by. Three could start a stampede. ;)

Edited by TrampSteer

...matter of fact boating the bayous of the Baton Rouge area was a trip all to itself also. 

My dad retired in red stick. Spent a lot of Christmas's there over the decades before he and Ma passed. Great city, fishing and food - miss mud-bugs and catfish the most.

Texas Looseys, great ribs!

LOL, random...... Paul, are you sleep posting again? :)

Edited by Brent B3B