Door stop

stan's52

Another approach:  There is a rubber bumper inside the door on the end of the check-strap.  You should be able to maneuver the rubber piece off the check strap and then the strap itself can slide out of the slot in the door as you get the door off the car.

• 4 months later...

I can't find any diagrams of the door stop mechanism in the manual. (P15)  

And I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the loud pop when the door is fully opened.  

I would also like to replace the bolt for a proper pin if I knew what to look for or where to buy one. 

post-7835-0-18500000-1449165902_thumb.jpg

Certainly an easy way to test. Remove the bolt and see if it still pops. Just be careful not to lose the arm down inside the door if you don't want to have to fish it out later.

It's definitely not catching on the fender... I already considered that.  With the bolt/pin out it swings freely.

Ed,  If I shop for the part you've shown in the picture, what do you call it?

ps.  I did send you a PM

Edited by 46Ply

Sex bolt.  Google it.  But stay on the hardware topic, and no adolescent remarks.  Sex bolts have been called for typically to attach a door closer to the top of a door.  

Years ago, when architectural specifications were typed new for every project, I would write "sex bolts" but the typists would consistently type "hex bolts".  So I printed a hardware data sheet illustrating a sex bolt and titled it;  "Everything you wanted to know about sex bolts but were afraid to ask", adapting the title of a popular book of the era.  

Oh, go ahead with your adolescent comments, guys. 

Edited by DonaldSmith

After making my rounds this is the closest thing I've found:

https://www.fastenal.com/products;jsessionid=F46D92972A0FD3FC83D2EF537F0BBA12.fcomjvm01?term=11103499&searchMode=

11128897.jpg110123381_Truss_PhillipsSlotted_BindingP

Will this do the job?  It takes any #10 size threaded screw.  Which does not come with it, and it's not in stock, so I can't try it without ordering a minimum of 5 per pkg.

Edited by 46Ply
  • Like 1

I buy them complete both pieces at Ace Hardware. They are 1/4" diameter X 3/8" long.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

After making my rounds this is the closest thing I've found:

https://www.fastenal.com/products;jsessionid=F46D92972A0FD3FC83D2EF537F0BBA12.fcomjvm01?term=11103499&searchMode=

11128897.jpg110123381_Truss_PhillipsSlotted_BindingP

Will this do the job?  It takes any #10 size threaded screw.  Which does not come with it, and it's not in stock, so I can't try it without ordering a minimum of 5 per pkg.

When I get mine from the hardware store they come with the screw. However I don't see why those won't work. The picture looks too tall so you'd have to get shorter or cut it.

Believe these are the one and the same Ed sent me......

If a tad long..file to length..would be better than trying to extend them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Zinc-Combo-Truss-Head-Phillips-Slot-Post-Nut-Screw-10-24-X-3-8-/370309716732?hash=item56382ddafc:g:vdsAAOxyB0VRure5

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Got the bolts.  They fit perfect!  Problem is....  I still have the pop when the door is fully extended.  As if something inside the door needs some lubrication.  Don't want to take the door panel off before I know what I'm looking for.  Can I spray some lube through the door opening where the arm extends?

Check straps (Door Stops) are kinda complicated.

They can be  very difficult to repair if damaged ..

I'm not positive on the strap design of the P-15 or D-24 cars but if like a 1946-48 chrysler there are two styles of check straps.. one style is shown which has two steel loops that can break from lack of lubrication and will cause the loud snap when opening the door fully then closing it.

The door has to be cut open on the hinge side for access... not an easy job. No new parts are available.

post-302-0-90221800-1449721725_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-29308200-1449721741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Check straps (Door Stops) are kinda complicated.

They can be  very difficult to repair if damaged ..

I'm not positive on the strap design of the P-15 or D-24 cars but if like a 1946-48 chrysler there are two styles of check straps.. one style is shown which has two steel loops that can break from lack of lubrication and will cause the loud snap when opening the door fully then closing it.

The door has to be cut open on the hinge side for access... not an easy job. No new parts are available.

Thanks for the detail.  I had previously found and studied your other post on this subject, but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require cutting into the door!  Not saying there is one, but that's something I'll have to take to a body shop.  Is this covered anywhere in the service manual?  I can't find anything on it in the service manual or the Parts List manual.  How do you access these parts to lubricate them?  

To lube the strap just spray lithium or squirt a heavy oil into the hole area where the strap enters the door.

Even grease on the strap should get pushed into the area the lube needs to be.

I tried that, but I'll give it another dose.  Dose #2, still no difference.  Maybe I can't get it where it needs to go.

Edited by 46Ply

Lube won't fix damaged parts.