1942 Dodge 1/2 Ton Pickup Distributor for 218

Recently, I discovered that the cap on my IAP distributor rotates on the base. Probably wrong cap. I checked out parts availability for IAP distributors and found that ONLY the cap is listed. Not good.

So I have been thinking of getting a different distributor which has greater parts availability AND is original to 1942. Heck I don't even know if my IAP is correct for the year.

I have found that there are a lot of parts available for the IGS distributor...

My Question:: What type distributor is correct for my truck AND has parts available?

Thanks!

The correct distributor is Auto-Lite,IGS-4203-B-1

• Like 1

Although there are several distributors that will fit and work in your truck , here is the distributor that was sold with the 1942 WC truck ; IGS-4203B-1 .    And the parts that will fit that distributor are cap IGC-1107S ,  rotor IGS1016B , contact set IGP-3028ES , condenser IG3927G , breaker plate assy .  IGS-3004J . I have been buying original Auto-Lite parts on ebay as the replacements available are not as well made in comparison .  You will find things like larger terminals in the Auto-Lite distributor cap compared to the new replacements . 

Did you check to make sure you don't have it out. 1/2 turn? There is only one nub on the cap to fit the dist, but the cap will fit in the wrong spot, but it can move on you...made that mistake for a couple minutes the other day, the realized my mistake

Thank you very much! Now all I need to do is find an IGS-4203B-1. Do any of you have one available? My current one is an IAP-4103A-1. Would it be worth anything in a trade?

Thanks!

What engine do you have in your truck? The distributor numbers you are looking for may be correct for your truck but is the engine in your truck original or has it been swapped out? Also you mention that the cap rotates on the base. Do you have the correct cap for your distributor? Pictures would be helpful.

Don,

My 218 engine is original so someone must have swapped the distributor sometime in the past. The detent on the cap does not match the base so I bet someone put an IGS cap on an IAP base. I might go grab an IAP cap but then will the rotor fit it? Looks like IAP rotors are not available. I'll add some photos.

Dave

I have been thinking. Why spend $22 for a new cap when what  I need is a complete IGS-4203-B-1 assembly? Therefore I think I'll hold out for the new distributor. There isn't one on eBay currently but I'll keep an eye out. And if anyone happens to have a working (or not working) IGS-4203-B-1 kicking around their parts bin (or warehouse), I'd appreciate the tip..

Thanks!

I have seen some lists showing an IGS-4203A-1 as a variety of original distributor for my 1942 Dodge "Job Rated" pickup.

Would the IGS-4203A-1 be correct or not? My pickup was built in January of 1942.

Thanks

I am considering keeping my IAP-4103A-1 distributor but I don't know how its characteristics stack up against the distributor I need, the IGS-4203B-1.

Here are the IAP-4103A-1 charateristics.

Auto-lite IAP-4103A-1. Centrifugal advance starts at 1 degree @ 450 RPM's and full at 11 degrees @ 1550 RPM's. Vacuum advance starts at 1 degree @ 6 inches of mercury and is full in at 8 degrees @ 14 inches of mercury. 

Does anyone have the  IGS-4203B-1 characteristics?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Tubeviper

Thanks, Don

I have found an IGS-4203B-1 distributor. Now all I need to do is to take delivery, replace and restore what needs it and then install it.