Quality Water Pump

meadowbrook

Hi all.

Are there opinions on who makes the best quality water pumps for the 230 engine?

My 1950 Meadowbrook's pump is about 4 years old and I am beginning to hear a whirring sound on and off when the engine is idling that seems to be coming from the water pump. I assume he bearing or seals are going.

I still have the original water pump with the paddle wheel and grease fitting, which was functioning fine but was removed for preventive maintenance.

Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks

go to the web page PARTSGEEK  in New Jersey and then do a search on your car.  Lookto get a GAtes water pump.  GAtes is now using the seal bearing sytle instead of the old style of the two bronze bushings.

The pumps are brand new and the cost less than having the old pump rebuilt

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com.

Great information Rich. I see that they are listed for $43.66 with free postage to USA on Amazon. Wish I had of looked there before paying $115 for the one for my truck (USMW brand made in China) here in Oz. I reckon I could have saved money even paying the postage. I'll have to start my searching at Amazon first in future!

Thanks for the tip. I checked out PartsGeek and they have lots of items for our cars at very reasonable prices. I think I will order a waterpump from them and see what the quality is like. Price is certainly right and I am waiting on a question I sent about shipping cost to Canada.

Edited by RobertKB

I bought one from NAPA for my 218.  I think it was about $68.00.  No problems so far, about 500 miles

I believe the water pumps for the short 23" block and the longer 25" block are the same. Can someone please tell me if this is the case or not. Thanks.

Yes they are the same. But the backing plates differ between internal and external by-pass systems. 

water_pumps.jpg

extrnlbypas.jpg

Ok thanks, Don.

On another note, PartsGeek does not ship to Canada so will have to look up here. I could have it shipped to a friend in Montana as an option I guess. I would think, however, that at the price PG are selling waterpumps for, it is likely Chinese.

The Gates pumps are chinese. I think are the only ones available new.

Not sure if it is the same case with water pumps, but someone here on the forum ordered a low price master cylinder from Partsgeek, and the order could not be filled. Did not have the part.

I am not sure what the brand was anymore but I bought a new water pump in 2010 and its still going strong. It is outlasting the rebuilt ones I bought and had on their previously.