VC gasket part number

thebeebe5
Go to solution Solved by _shel_ny,

Can anyone provide a part number for a valve cover gasket that would fit my 201cid '37 motor? Or tell me what the most recent vehicle is that would use the same gasket? I know there are two different length motors (23" and 25", right?) but would ALL flathead motors use the same VC gasket? Local Napa hub says they have none in stock anywhere in the country and none backordered from FelPro and cannot provide an alternative. Will be pulling exhaust and intake next Friday to r/r cracked exhaust and would love to get it all done at once while I have easy access.

Thanks!

• Solution

My book shows Plym/Dodge 33-54 use the same gasket

NAPA VS4253R 

Rock Auto shows the same #

Mikey has it for $75

o'reilly for $10.99

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 2

My book shows Plym/Dodge 33-54 use the same gasket

NAPA VS4253R

Rock Auto shows the same #

Mikey has it for $75

o'reilly for $10.99

Not sure who Mikey is, but $75 seems a bit steep... :-/

O'Reilly said none in stock. Anywhere...

Rock Auto it is.

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed! Should be here in time too.

Alright, so, these gaskets seem to no longer exist, at least as supplied by FelPro.  RockAuto showed 7 in inventory.  I ordered three.  Got a follow up email next day that basically said "sorry about your luck" but we have none.  Ordered from Amazon.  Found a seller with 4 in stock.  Ordered them all....  Got a follow up email "our inventory numbers were wrong.  So sorry".  None available....  Napa, as I've said, lists none in the USA.  Anywhere.  O'Rielly's says they're in the system, but there are none available.  That "Mikey" fellow may have a single on ebay for $75, but I refuse to pay that.  So, what is everyone using if this is no longer an available part?  I figure on making some from a sheet of cork gasket material, but was just wondering what you all were doing....

I would contact Best Gasket company direct or try Andy Bernbaums......they list the SAME number for all Plymouth and Dodge sixes 1933 to 1959, which covers the 201/218 and 230 23" six.....they list the De Soto and Chrysler under a different part number which to me indicates that the Desoto/Chrysler 25" engine had a diferent length gasket, again makes sense.....also what about trying any farm/machinery parts places if such exist in your area as these engines were a common use in these implements.....andyd

• Like 1

Alright, so, these gaskets seem to no longer exist, at least as supplied by FelPro.  RockAuto showed 7 in inventory.  I ordered three.  Got a follow up email next day that basically said "sorry about your luck" but we have none.  Ordered from Amazon.  Found a seller with 4 in stock.  Ordered them all....  Got a follow up email "our inventory numbers were wrong.  So sorry".  None available....  Napa, as I've said, lists none in the USA.  Anywhere.  O'Rielly's says they're in the system, but there are none available.  That "Mikey" fellow may have a single on ebay for $75, but I refuse to pay that.  So, what is everyone using if this is no longer an available part?  I figure on making some from a sheet of cork gasket material, but was just wondering what you all were doing....

I will look in my parts box to see if I have any cork ones. I know I have the washer gasket for the mount bolt, but that can be made with a piece of gasket material. Will PM you

• Like 1

Good info Don.  Nice thing is, the larger VS917R Chrashler gaskets are available from Summit Racing for $6

$8 through Auto Zone

EDIT: PD cork gasket for 23" block VS-30654

EDIT 2:  the 4253R gaskets are probably also available through forum advertisers AB, and Robert's

EDIT 3:  size difference PD  vs. Chry. was also noted earlier  by Andydodge :rolleyes:

Edited by shel_ny

One of the biggest frustrations was placing orders only to find they actually had none in stock, and am afraid that will continue to happen.  I'm happy to make a set from a template too.  Really hoping to have a viable set here Thursday so I can do the adjustments with the induction/exhaust off the car.  Shel_ny, thanks for the PM!  I'll PM back in a moment.

One of the biggest frustrations was placing orders only to find they actually had none in stock, and am afraid that will continue to happen.  I'm happy to make a set from a template too.  Really hoping to have a viable set here Thursday so I can do the adjustments with the induction/exhaust off the car.  Shel_ny, thanks for the PM!  I'll PM back in a moment.

Interesting. . . My local auto supply is able to get things like the valve cover gasket set into the store by the next day. Actually usually the same day (in the afternoon of the morning I call). I would have thought that that would be true of a place in the metro Phoenix area too. Maybe there just happens to be a big regional warehouse near me.

Be careful buying old stock cork gaskets...they shrink up and water will not bring them back to size.

• Like 1

Interesting. . . My local auto supply is able to get things like the valve cover gasket set into the store by the next day. Actually usually the same day (in the afternoon of the morning I call). I would have thought that that would be true of a place in the metro Phoenix area too. Maybe there just happens to be a big regional warehouse near me.

Tod, everyone except Napa has said they can get them. The problem is when I say "okay, get them". Then they find there's nothing to get. And I agree, I ought to be able to get just about anything here. I will be checking the sources everyone has been kind enough to share in this thread.