changing to LED flasher/light/stop

bluefoxamazone

hi!

I came up with the "bright" idea ;)  to change some of the bulbs in my car to LED.

I have found LED lamps based on the BAY15D socket that work well. The light is very bright and white at almost no power consumption.

BUT.... the flasher relay does not want to play my game.... It sometime flashes, it sometime does nothing....

So I am looking for a suitable flasher relay on 6V (pos grnd) for LED lamps (low Amps).

Is there anybody with a suggestion or experiences on this matter?

thanks!!!

The flasher in the fuse box must be changed to a LED flasher. I have 12V's and they do make them for that system, but not sure if they have one for 6V. Check with companies like Ron Francis, Painless, American autowire and the like to see if they carry one.

as stated  find a hiding spot in the trunk,,or  make  a hanger and pick up a bulb socket,,,splice it in  line  hang it so it wont bang against  some thing and  break,, the  bulb  will give you the  load your stock  flasher needs,,  you could  check with  todd at  cool-leds.com,,  he has made  custom led,s for me  in the past may  have a  flasher,,

• 4 weeks later...

hey!

finding a 6 volt led flasher relay seems no problem. But the fact of positive grounding....

I think I go for the solution with the resistor or the bulb...

I thought u saw a 6v positive ground flasher. I will see if I can find it again.

Earl

Seems to me if you have to add a bulb to the circuit then you lost the purpose of using an LED in the first place...

Adding leds on a antique car is not to lower energy useage but to have brighter lights for safety.

Earl

• Like 1

Ok, I was under the impression incandescent still is brighter than LED, at least for 12 V, maybe not for 6V.

LEDs are always brighter and faster. Unless you buy some dirt cheap ones. Thought I have seen plenty of the dirt cheap ones blind the heck out of me lol

Earl

Ok, I was under the impression incandescent still is brighter than LED, at least for 12 V, maybe not for 6V.

Lumens (light output) per watt (power in) is much higher for LEDs than incandescent.

However LEDs can be very directional in their light output and the spectrum emitted can be an issue. So sometimes an incandescent bulb may be a better choice, at least at the moment. LEDs lights are under rapid development and color rendering (emitted light spectrum) is getting better all the time and new ways are being developed to make the light intensity more uniform so the number of applications where incandescents are better than LEDs is shrinking all the time.

Typical high power LEDs actually need about 3v DC to operate, so anything that is developed for a 12v system could, in theory, be applied to a 6v system. The issue there being lack of volume to induce a manufacturer to make a product.

i dont know  if it would help, on my 40  negitive ground 12volt,  the  LED flashers  i used on my car  when  in stalled in the  fuse box wouldnt work with the  car on,,,if the  car was off,key off,,power hooked to the battery,,the  flashed was  clicking,,,i made  pig tails mounted the  flasher out side the  box and reversed the  wiring  on the flasher,,works  perfect,,maybe  that would work on your positive ground  system,,,,just my .02 cents,,,

look on  jegs .com  summit .com,,for led flashers,,,your  local  auto  zone carries them also,,,

i dont know  if it would help, on my 40  negitive ground 12volt,  the  LED flashers  i used on my car  when  in stalled in the  fuse box wouldnt work with the  car on,,,if the  car was off,key off,,power hooked to the battery,,the  flashed was  clicking,,,i made  pig tails mounted the  flasher out side the  box and reversed the  wiring  on the flasher,,works  perfect,,maybe  that would work on your positive ground  system,,,,just my .02 cents,,,

look on  jegs .com  summit .com,,for led flashers,,,your  local  auto  zone carries them also,,,

in my flasher there seems to be a diode that only allows power in one direction. In the meantime I have seen that installing a load resistor might be the best solution. I'll give this a try...Just have to figure out the right resistance value. I think 1 ohm but I can be wrong....(it has been a long time since I learned Ohm's law)

in my flasher there seems to be a diode that only allows power in one direction. In the meantime I have seen that installing a load resistor might be the best solution. I'll give this a try...Just have to figure out the right resistance value. I think 1 ohm but I can be wrong....(it has been a long time since I learned Ohm's law)

Take your meter and measure ohms across the bulb and multiply by 2 and that's the load you need to keep the same flash rate. Measure the correct element in the bulb as there are two elements.

Earl

in the meantime I have found a 6 volt flasher relay for led of which the company claims that it works on positive ground. I have ordered one for 20 usd. I'll see what it brings. I won't be able to install it before half september...I 'll let the forum know if it works or if I am screwed for 20 bucks... :-)

• Like 1