Pilothouse stops like a Porsche......well almost.

Had an interesting morning yesterday. I decidied to spend some time adjusting and testing the disc brakes of my truck. I set them up a while ago but always felt I could get them closer to perfect.

So I got into my shop real early and decided to give it a go. There was no one around so I set up a few measured test sections in the parking lot and started testing.

I have discs all around with a grand Cherokee M/C and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. The first adjustments I made were to the linkage at the M/C. Once I got this to a point where I could lock them up I then spent an hour or so making small adjustments to the adjustable valve. The results are pretty impressive. It almost feels like an ABS system. I have it set so you really have to stomp on the pedal to get them to lock up.

While I was doing my tests a few of my buddies showed up to work. Pretty soon we had a small crowd and started doing comparison tests. Guess who had the shortest stopping distances?

Two of my friends have fairly new Toyota Tundras and they were quite surprised at how quickly the old Pilothouse would come to a stop. Our tests were not super scientific and were done at a speed of around 35mph.......but hey I easily beat them. And it wasn't until a customer showed up with a Speedster that I had to admit defeat. I can live with that.....and as I told him.....let's see you haul a load.  :) At some point I want to do a more controlled test. It was actually pretty fun to see tangible results of our work.

Jeff

• Like 8

Sounds like a fun day testing and adjusting.  you must have did a great jobs on those brakes  well the sports car can haul ass , but you can haul an ass (donkey) with a hitch LOL , sounds like lots of brake work in my future....   give yourself some credit Toyota must have had 50 Engineers on the payroll.

Todd's statement is correct. However, Jeff's test certainly adds confidence to the benefits of disc brakes, I certainly like mine which stop straight every time. Also no heat fade coming down from the High Sierras.

I sometimes think the older generation hates technology and thinks that these trucks stopped fine when they were new, so why change that, but the reality is they didn't and things like brakes have come a long long way and make the truck safer and more drivable. I looked at a few Cherokees the other day, but all were rear drum, or I might have looked at robbing some backing plates and parts. I love my set up, but once in awhile I think the rear could do more.

I understand that the rear brakes only do about 30% of the braking, so I did not go with discs on the rear, but then it is flat where i do most of my driving.

In the case of my truck the brakes on the rear are larger and more powerful than the fronts. They are also from different generations of brake technology. I have the Rusty Hope kit (late 70's GM) on front and a disc brake equipped Grand Cherokee rear axle. Fortunately when I did the conversion I put in an adjustable proportioning valve otherwise you would never get the front to rear bias set up properly. That is what I was working on Saturday morning. The rears were still locking up ahead of the fronts.  I think I have that corrected but will still have to do some testing at higher speeds. And yes Paul it slows and stops straight without pulling to either side. A sensation some of us older drivers still remember quite well.

When I learned to drive it was at a time when we all "planned" our stops. These days people take good brakes for granted and treat braking as an afterthought.  And a good many of them don't even know their way home and wait for the GPS to tell them to Turn Now. Without a signal!  So that is why the old truck got this update. Call it a nod to self preservation.  I use technology when it truly makes my life better but I don't allow it to use me. It is a tool and should be considered as such. I don't own or wear the electronic leash most folks do and I still prefer manual controls.......knobs and buttons.... on my stereo equipment. :lol: There is a 40 year old Kenwood stereo here in my shop that still rocks........I'd like to see any of this new electronic rubbish last that long.

Jeff

• Like 1

Ok..so you can all have a good laugh at my expense. I made some linkage adjustments this weekend when I was testing my brakes mainly to firm up the pedal. This adjustment is really fussy and responds to very minute changes. I knew this but it was all working fine during my slow speed testing. There were no signs of dragging brakes at all.

So fast forward (not really an appropriate term as it turned out) to today and a 4 mile trip to the certified scales to finish off the DMV paperwork. The first quarter mile or so seemed ok until I turned on to one of our very busy 6 lane roads. Got the truck up to about 40 and then it just wouldn't do any more. Got a mile or so up the road and it was down to about 35 and straining. I finally got to a spot were I could pull into a residential area and as I began to slow to a stop I could feel the brakes dragging. No real choice but to abort and head back to the shop.....at a snails pace. Turns out I should have just left well enough alone this weekend. After it and I had a chance to cool down I readjusted the linkage and made the trip without a hitch. The pedal was no where near as firm but these brakes are pretty darn good.

Weight of my fully loaded B-3-C with fluid drive was 4040#. That includes a full tool and spares set and a HD HumVee jack and spare tire.

The good news is all my efforts at insulating and soundproofing this truck are very apparent. I was pleasantly surprised with the ride quality and comfort and the steering effort required. Not much to do there.  On the down side I could feel a very slight shimmy in the front as it got up over 50 mph....but I still have not had the alignment checked so I kind of expected this. Also I need to set the accelerator pump linkage on the new carb from the center setting to the warm weather setting and recheck the timing. Everything else worked as it should. Yeah!

Jeff

When I learned to drive it was at a time when we all "planned" our stops.

Jeff

Love my truck but you sure put a picture to the problem. No one else knows how a 60 truck stops so it gets pretty tricky sometimes.

Mike.....there is not much you can do about that aspect of the road these days. Blows my mind when I see these idiots pull out into oncoming traffic ..... while texting.They don't have a clue.... and they are distracted. Not a good combination.

Thanks Dav. I felt like a real maroon on the first attempt when the brakes started dragging. Oh well nobody and nothing got hurt....except my pride.

I will tell you what though it is going to be just fine. And boy does it have character. I am very pleased with the way it felt  I've left all the leaves in and I was afraid it might be a bit too jouncy......but really it is not bad at all. Kinda confirmed what I have known all along that the longer wheelbase just gives a more comfortable ride.

I still have a few things to address ( like a rattle in the heater I got from GGDad ;) ) but for the most part it is all good. Oh ya.....my zeal with the soundproofing has  created another little project. I can't hear the blinker module anymore so I am going to have to add a indicator up on the dash. :lol:

Jeff

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...