windshield installation

sportscoupecars

do you put the seal on the metal frame and then install glass one side at a time  or put glass in on both sides of seal and install seal  from inside ...my 1947 coupe glass was already gone and I do not have a clue how it should look or be installed   ..thanks

Put the seal on the glass and put the window in from the outside. Lay a cord in the groove of the seal, set the seal on the pinchweld on the side where the ends of the cord hang inside the car. While a helper keeps light pressure on the outside of the glass, slowly pull the cord to force the inner lip of the seal over the pinchweld. Bob's your uncle, it's in. You can put a sealer in both grooves of the seal, but I've never seen the need for it.

it has no inner lip ....the lip is on the outside in front of glass ,,,on my parts car ,old seal is over metal lip on outside and window lip is inside  ...looks like glass is mounted behind outer lip ....does this mean glass goes in seal from inside the car .....high dollar seal and very different looking

Take Plymouthy's advice and get instructions from Steele.  I'll toss out another bit of advice for you to consider, because I have firsthand experience.  When you install the windshield garnish inside the car, don't get too heavy-handed when you tighten the screws.  We put the new windshields in my P15, and installed the garnish moulding.  Everything looked great.....until later that day a crack developed in the passenger side glass....necessitating another new windshield. :mad:   I had the glass shop cut another, and this time, I more carefully snugged down the screws.  That was several years ago, and have had no more cracks !!! :D

Wayne